This questionnaire is a required and key component of your IRE Award entry. Judges may disqualify an entry on the basis of an incomplete questionnaire. Attach another sheet (or sheets) using the numbering of each question below.
You must include an electronic copy of your answers on a CD.
This questionnaire is a required and key component of your IRE Award entry. Judges may disqualify an entry on the basis of anincomplete questionnaire. Attach another sheet (or sheets) using the numbering of each question below.You must include an electronic copy of your answers on a CD.
1. Title of story, collection of stories, or series and names of people who worked on this story.For a partnership or collaboration, please name each entity that took part in the investigation.
2. Date(s) published, aired, or posted.
3. Topic and synopsis of story or series, including major findings.
4. How the story got started (tip, assignment, etc.).
5. Major types of documents used and if FOI requests were needed. Did you have difficulties obtaining any electronicinformation? How did you resolve it? Did you use FOI for data under state or federal law?
6. Major types of human sources used.
7. Results (if any).
8. Follow-up (if any). Have you run a correction or clarification on the report? Has anyone come forward to challenge itsaccuracy? If so, please explain.
9. Advice to other journalists planning a similar project.
10. Difficulty, uniqueness of effort, or other special circumstances related to this subject.
11. Length of time taken to report, write and edit the story.
12. If you extensively used computer-assisted reporting skills, please answer the following:
a. Did you extensively use any Internet sources? If so, please list address(es) and explain how the site(s) was useful.
b. Did you obtain or build any electronic databases? If you obtained data, what was its name and source? What was the cost? If you created your own database(s), what records did you use?
c. Did you have difficulties with the data itself? How did you overcome them?
d. Was any analysis done? If so, what?
e. Was data analysis done by your own staff or was outside assistance used? Who?
f. What specific software did you use?
For Gannett Digital Innovation award entries:
13. Explain how the digital tools you used enhanced or improved your ability to report and/or deliver the story.
For Student award entries:
14. Please describe any academic advisory or professional help you had in putting together your story.