Investigative Team Editor
Gannett Wisconsin Media is seeking an Investigative Team Editor overseeing the work of three full-time reporters and four part-time reporters who produce enterprise, watchdog and investigative projects to publish in the 10 GWM markets. The position is based in Appleton and reports to the Regional Executive Editor of Gannett Wisconsin Media.
The I-Team Editor develops story ideas, makes assignments, edits the work of the reporters, works with editors at all 10 sites to develop stories and print/digital presentation plans, and works in concert with the Editor/Visual and Print at The Post-Crescent to generate suitable photo/art for the packages. Also, will work with print page designers at the Des Moines News Design Studio to develop effective and striking print presentations, produce weekly (Sunday, at least) projects, and also does short-term enterprise projects to respond to news needs.
In addition, the I-Team Editor is tasked with developing the organization’s writing and reporting skills, giving constructive feedback to reporters, and creating exclusive journalism of statewide, regional and possibly national significance. Another important function of this position will be to cultivate and maintain a relationship with USA Today enterprise editors, membership in IRE and/or other professional journalism organizations, and play a role in development of Post-Crescent enterprise work as well, working with the Editor/Local Enterprise.
The successful applicant will have strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Have the ability to manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Must have knowledge of — or expertise in — research and database management, computer-assisted reporting, and be proficient in MS Office Word, Excel, Access, and ability to learn or teach other platforms as needed. Also, this position requires expertise in investigative techniques, court documents, Open Records requests and other matters of open government.
- In addition, the I-Team position requires experience in newsroom management, including work with sports, features, business and photo staffs.
- Must be able to provide leadership in a proactive, change oriented work environment.
- A good understanding of Gannett’s Content Evolution process, and the mandate to produce high-quality, meaningful and exclusive content for Gannett Wisconsin Media is also necessary.
- A minimum of three (3) years as an editor in charge of enterprise, investigative and watchdog journalism is required.
- Special emphasis placed on developing digital journalism product launch. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field required.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter when applying online at: http://tinyurl.com/8sqtl8h or apply through www.Careerbuilder.com using the Key words: Investigative Team Editor
The Post-Crescent is committed to diversity and proud to be an equal opportunity employer.