Data Visualization Designer/Developer
Climate Central is looking for a rising star in the data journalism field, a standout with superior storytelling, coding, design and data visualization skills to help us create digital graphics on climate change, weather, and energy issues across all platforms. You’ll work closely with our team of scientists, data analysts, researchers and news reporters to create original stories, graphics, and reports on cutting edge climate science, weather, and energy topics. Strong graphic design, programming and data administration are all elements of this position, but the core requirement is for someone who is eager to jump into a wide variety of assignments, learn and use new coding languages and visualization techniques, and help our team create compelling climate science-related content.
- Create/design/illustrate digital graphics and interactives in new and informative ways, converting and conveying data on climate science, energy, and sea level rise.
- Create/design/build user interfaces for Climate Central’s growing online properties, including microsites, applications, landing pages and graphics.
- Create reusable Web-based tools.
- Create wireframes and prototypes consistent with user interface specifications.
- Research emerging technologies and applications and the opportunities to integrate them into operations.
- Maintain existing site sections and content.
- Build and refine existing graphics. Must have extremely strong skills in Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, or equivalent application(s).
- Assist with testing and quality assurance.
- Contribute ideas and other help as needed on a small, close editorial team.
- Convert raw images and layouts from a graphic designer into CSS/XHTML themes.
- Determine appropriate architecture, and other technical solutions, and make relevant recommendations.
- Self-starter with strong self-management skills and ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrable experience designing graphics and interactives for digital media platforms, including working with Flash and HTML5.
- BA in Graphic Design, Computer Science, journalism, or a related field, or significant equivalent experience.
- Strong design and UI skills and portfolio with demonstrable proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Demonstrable experience with HTML/XHTML and CSS as well as Web programming experience, including PHP, ASP or JSP.
- Knowledge of database systems such as MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle or SQL a plus.
- Thorough knowledge of online production environments and challenges.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Flexibility to take on new roles as the evolution of the Internet leads us in unanticipated directions.
- Prior knowledge of climate science is not required, but a curiosity in learning about it is.
About Climate Central
Climate Central is a growing, non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. We are an independent organization of leading scientists and journalists researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impact on the American public. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
This position will be located in our Princeton, N.J., office.
Compensation is competitive, with very generous benefits.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Search will close when successful candidate is recruited to fill this position.