Senior Reporter, Politics of Broadband
The Senior Reporter will lead the Center for Public Integrity’s investigative work on a minimum two-year project focusing on the political influence of the broadband industry — consisting mainly of the nation’s largest cable and telecommunications companies. The reporter will have strong knowledge of the workings of the Federal Communications Commission, the committees on Capitol Hill that oversee Internet technology and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. The ideal candidate will also have experience with campaign finance and lobbying data and solid computer-assisted reporting skills. The reporter will be capable of writing about complex issues in an understandable way and from a public interest rather than an industry perspective. He or she will produce original investigative journalism for publication on the Center’s website and for distribution through the digital, print and broadcast outlets of our media partners.
This is a great opportunity for the right person who enjoys a congenial workplace, an extraordinarily compelling mission, and a setting filled with dynamic ideas and game-changing journalism.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Uses sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and write exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects on the topic of broadband accessibility.
- Works with Finance Editor in developing story and project ideas.
- Develops and implements an engagement strategy for social media making regular contributions via Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
- Coordinates with the Center’s multimedia team and the social media coordinator to create excellent, audience-directed content.
- Coordinates with computer-assisted reporting team to integrate data into projects.
- Develops and implements an outreach strategy at the outset of the project – including identifying and building reporting and distribution partnerships with other news outlets.
- Compiles documentation to facilitate fact checking.
- Works with other reporters, communications, development and Web teams to maximize impact and reach of the project.
- Adheres to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Personnel Policy Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Adheres to all policies and practices with regard to any electronic or hard copy documentation from the start of a story or project to its distribution, including storage, indexing, and archiving.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience
- Strong research, writing, and reporting skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Commitment and ability to develop sources
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of and experience with social media
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to mentor young journalists and to listen and learn
- Team player
- At least five years’ experience reporting on technology.
- Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of and experience with distribution outlets, including print, broadcast, and the Web.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills.
- Commitment to the values and mission of the Center for Public Integrity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Team player.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line.
About The Center for Public Integrity
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. We are one of the country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Our mission: To enhance democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.