Investigative Reporter Wanted
Alabama Media Group, the state's leading media company, is expanding its investigative journalism team. We’re looking for tenacious, experienced reporters who have a proven record of uncovering great stories across a broad range of subjects, telling them in compelling ways and delivering results.
The right candidates will thrive in a competitive, digitally focused environment. Keys to success will be identifying and exploring stories that resonate and make a difference, using audience measurement and interaction as a guide.
Community engagement is a crucial part of the job. You’ll be expected to show your work along the way in the daily pursuit of short-term enterprise stories and incremental reporting of larger investigative projects.
Alabama Media Group content appears on the state's largest website, AL.com, and in the pages of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Birmingham News, the Press-Register, and The Huntsville Times.
The position, which will be based in one of the state’s three largest metro areas (Birmingham, Huntsville or Mobile), is statewide in scope but aims for an even larger impact.
To be successful, the applicant will need:
- A minimum of five years of investigative reporting experience;
- The ability and drive to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately;
- A solid understanding of journalistic ethics;The ability to dissect and explain complex issues with a clear, authoritative and insightful approach;
- Experience in obtaining and analyzing public records and data sets for in-depth reporting;A thorough understanding of the value and techniques of data-driven storytelling;
- The demonstrated ability to capitalize on high-value topics by engaging audiences with frequency and urgency;
- Understanding the imperatives of multiple platforms;Experience using social media to source and promote content;
- The ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from its competitors.
If you are interested in applying for this role, e-mail your cover letter, a resume and links to your investigative reporting work to Matt Havard (Senior HR Manager, ACS Alabama) firstname.lastname@example.org Alabama Media Group is a digitally-focused news and information company that combines quality journalism from The Birmingham News, The Huntsville Times, Mobile's Press-Register and The Mississippi Press with up-to-the-minute access of AL.com.
Alabama Media Group provides innovative ways to inform, connect and empower the people of Alabama and in the communities we serve.Alabama Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.