Bring your passion for data-driven journalism and entrepreneurial spirit to our internal start-up. The
Scripps National Bureau, based in Washington, DC, has an opening for a Computer-Assisted Reporter.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in and committed to social media, blogging and aggregation.
The Computer-Assisted Reporter plans and produces digital news stories and features based on
computer-assisted reporting and data analysis using computer programs, including database managers,
mapping tools and statistical software. The role creates sophisticated interactive features for daily news
and investigative projects covering government accountability, policy and politics.
The Computer-Assisted reporter has a passion for creative data visualization and interactive storytelling
and relishes inventing new approaches, thinking outside of traditional beat and filing structures and
collaborating with a broad array of editors, reporters, print and television partners. The individual
will work in conjunction with Scripps TV stations, newspapers and other partners in identifying and
coordinating coverage opportunities and themes.
- Works closely with reporters and editors to use computer-assisted reporting techniques and resources to break news, enhance on-going reporting and develop coverage themes
- Works with entire team to help develop consistent visual style and common tools.
- Works with Scripps TV stations and newspapers to understand data and its use for localizing national stories
- Developing databases, obtaining databases from public sources in a variety of formats and updating databases as necessary.
- Presenting data on digital platforms in a variety of forms including calendars, user-searches, maps and geo-based information.
- Analyzing data and preparing news stories based on the analysis.
- Coordinating the gathering of data throughout the news organization.
- Facilitating inclusive reporting and recognizing the role that User Generated Content can and should play in the development of the news organization's data strategy.
- Work with third party partner data teams to optimize data collection, analysis and reporting on digital platforms.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 2-3 years relevant database work experience in news
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Some knowledge of ARC GIS
- Must be able to read, manipulate and analyze databases in various formats.
- Must be familiar with database publication applications, especially Caspio, but also be aware of applications such as Google, ManyEyes, Simile Timelines, Wordle and Swivel.
- Must have knowledge of search engine optimization and how it can be applied to the presentation of databases.
- Must thoroughly understand the fundamentals of news reporting, including issues involving privacy, libel and ethics.
- Must be very familiar with issues of access to government records and state open records laws.
- Must be aware of industry trends and best practices involving database journalism and online databases.
- Must be a self-starter, capable of demonstrating strong news judgment.
- Must have strong writing skills.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail in both word editing and coding for electronic publication.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) as well as have working knowledge of web publishing tools and HTML.
- Must have knowledge of social networking applications, story commenting process and other audience interaction tools.
- Must be a multi-tasker who can perform well under deadline pressure and successfully meet deadlines.
- Must have strong skills in time management and setting priorities.
- Must exhibit high standards of accuracy and fairness.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse range of individuals - team player
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
Interested candidates should send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title “Computer Assisted Reporter” in the subject line.