National Investigative Producer
Investigative journalism is at the core of the Scripps National Bureau based in Washington, DC. The Scripps Bureau's team of multimedia journalists produce national investigative stories that are featured as part of the local Scripps television, print and digital brands in 26 markets across the country.
The Scripps Bureau is expanding and we have an opening for an experienced, energetic and innovative investigative producer to join our national investigative team.
We're looking for the right producer who can produce well-told investigative stories across all Scripps platforms for broadcast, print and digital. The ideal candidate must be a generator and executor of investigative stories, able to work collaboratively with on-air reporters, but also lead investigations. The candidate has a proven track record delivering original investigations with high impact. He or she must be a team player and able to adapt to developing situations quickly. The right person who joins our team will get to produce stories that change laws and public policy.
- Work as an off-camera reporter - able to assist on-air reporters, but also lead investigations.
- Research, develop, execute and write short, medium and long form investigative stories.
- Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, databases and other journalistic tools to develop and produce exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects about abuses of power, corruption and betrayals of trust by public officials and other institutions charged with functioning in the public interest.
- Work as field producer conducting field interviews and assisting with live field coverage.
- Use hidden camera equipment effectively and work in an undercover capacity as warranted.
- Work with editors to utilize graphics and other tools to visually enhance storytelling.
- Help develop and implement an outreach strategy for all projects at the outset of project - including identifying and building reporting partnerships with Scripps properties and other media outlets
- Work collaboratively with others to maximize story reach and impact.
- Write stories targeted to a web and digital audience. Coordinate digital elements and ties.
- Make effective use of social media and other social sources to generate and promote stories.
- Must be flexible in an evolving environment and a contributor of ideas that will help shape the Scripps National Bureau.
- Adheres to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the company
- Meets established deadlines
- Travel is required.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- 7-10 years of investigative producing experience, national level a plus.
- Must have a working knowledge on a national level of public access laws, legal guidelines and ethical standards.
- Successful candidate must be an excellent writer with solid news judgment, a great attitude and works well in a collaborative environment.
- Must have experience with computer-assisted reporting and hidden-camera techniques.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be an idea person who is also highly organized, adept at multi-tasking and works well under deadline pressure.
- Familiarity with video editing and digital storytelling, a bonus.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Teamwork and a desire to collaborate are essential.
Interested candidates are invited to apply at http://www.scripps.com/job_search and select requisition #7342.