National Investigative Reporter
Investigative journalism is at the core of the Scripps National Bureau based in Washington, DC. The Scripps Bureau's team of multimedia journalists produce national investigative stories that are featured as part of the local Scripps television, print and digital brands in 26 markets across the country.
The Scripps Bureau is expanding and we have an opening for an investigative journalist with broadcast experience. The ideal candidate has a proven track record delivering original investigations with high impact.
We are looking for a broadcast journalist who is an idea generator, capable of working multiple stories - short, medium and long form - that are grounded in the highest quality journalism and relevant to a national audience. She/he must understand and embrace the goals of a digital news environment and social and multimedia. Teamwork and a desire to collaborate are essential.
- Generate, research and report short, medium and long form investigative stories
- Use sources, documents, computer-assisted reporting, and other journalistic tools to develop, report, write and produce exclusive accountability stories and investigative projects about abuses of power, corruption and betrayals of trust by public officials and other institutions charged with functioning in the public interest
- Coordinate with others to create excellent, audience-directed content including multi-media and social media
- Coordinate with computer-assisted reporting team to integrate data into projects
- Develop and implement an outreach strategy for all projects at the outset of project - including identifying and building reporting partnerships with Scripps properties and other media outlets and using all the tools of social media to build communities of interest
- Compile documentation to facilitate fact checking
- Contribute to DecodeDC and collaborate with editors, reporters and producers across multiple platforms
- Meets established deadlines
- Adheres to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the company
- Travel required
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7 to 10 years of investigative journalism experience with demonstrated results
- Superb research, writing, and reporting skills
- Proven track record to manage multiple tasks and ongoing projects in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of and experience with distribution outlets, including print, broadcast, and digital
- Strong analytical, research, and investigative skills
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources
- Knowledge of and experience with social media
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated desire to continue to learn about emerging media and apply knowledge to work
- Must exhibit high standards of accuracy and fairness
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision
- Team player who works well in a collaborative environment
- Commitment to the values and mission of the company
Interested candidates are invited to apply at http://www.scripps.com/job_search and select requisition #7367.