Montana Public Radio News Director
Montana Public Radio (MTPR) invites applications for an energetic and experienced leader for its award-winning news department. The station has a 49 year history of journalism and produces four hours of local news content each week. MTPR is located at the University of Montana in the beautiful, friendly, northern Rockies city of Missoula. As MTPR’s top news authority, the News Director (ND) uses the highest ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards to set the station’s news policy and maintain journalistic integrity across all station platforms.
As primary news editor, the ND position duties include, but are not limited to:
- Directs the activities of a multiple-person news staff by developing diverse story ideas, tracking issues and events, maintaining source contacts, assigning reporters for coverage and scheduling time for script edits.
- Contributes original content on a regular basis.
- Supervises production, broadcast and online posting of all news and public affairs content for MTPR using professional standards for writing, audio, video and still photography.
- Encourages innovation in techniques and information systems used to gather, produce and present the news.
- Acts as an advocate and a liaison to internal and external constituencies, including NPR, to advance the station’s news content.
- Participates in station events and fundraising activities as appropriate.
- Sets goals and monitors the scheduling and performance of news personnel.
- Recruits, hires, trains, evaluates and disciplines news personnel, ensuring that their work and behavior is at all times ethical and professional.
- Establishes and develops relationships and content sharing with other media outlets and journalists.
- Serves as mentor and trainer to employed students from the School of Journalism.
MTPR is a public service of the University of Montana in Missoula. The ND is a member of the UM Broadcast Media Center (BMC) senior leadership who report to the BMC Director, and works collaboratively with Programming, Technical, Production and Development leaders to create and implement a collective vision and strategic direction for MTPR and the BMC.
TO APPLY visit the UM Jobs website at http://bit.ly/1lCA4ae to review full position description, job qualifications, and apply online. Candidates will be asked to submit the following application materials: letter of interest; detailed resume; work samples including three recorded work samples, three examples of writing, and links to website postings (in one of the following formats: doc, xls, txt, rtf, pdf, gif, jpg, htm, html); and three (3) professional references. For full consideration, submit materials by April 28, 2014.
UM is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer with an eye on creating success for every employee by appreciating the uniqueness that each person brings to the workplace. UM strongly encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities. This position is eligible for veterans' preference in accordance with Montana State Law.
ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/fv79tbn