Senior Reporter - Data Desk
The Boston Globe is currently seeking a Senior Reporter, Data Desk to join their dynamic team. This position reports directly into the Metro editor with a dotted line to the editor of BostonGlobe.com.
The Senior Reporter, Data Desk will be required to help develop and execute the vision and editorial strategy for BostonGlobe.com’s investigative data journalism unit, with the goal of creating compelling, impactful, investigative journalism content. The successful candidate will motivate a small team of data journalists and engage them in the creation of web and multi-platform content including, but not limited to, text, video, and interactive digital journalism.
The Senior Reporter will assist the Editor, BostonGlobe.com in achieving traffic goals, increasing user engagement, and building relationships with a variety of key internal stakeholders, including section editors, digital product development, and producers with BetaBoston.com and other verticals. The Senior Reporter will also work with the Metro editor to help produce data driven stories for a variety of sections focused on local news. This position will be based at 135 Morrissey Boulevard in Boston.
- Work with the Editor, BostonGlobe.com and senior leadership to meet goals and objectives that will grow Boston Globe online traffic and establish it as a leading source of digital journalism.
- Lead a team of producers, inspiring them to create high-impact, accountable and compelling original journalism content.
- Pitch and write investigative pieces that enhance and promote quality, accountable, journalism.
- Work with the Boston Globe’s local sections to produce data-driven stories about Boston and the towns that surround it.
- Monitor and track performance, scheduling, and mentoring of data journalism staff.
- Assist in the tracking and execution of Freedom of Information requests and legal challenges.
- Create and promote innovative new multiplatform storytelling tools, techniques and technologies across the newsroom.
- Work with section editors to ensure data journalism is relevant to local assignments.
- Serve as the primary link between print and digital in the investigative news realm.
- Maintain and enforce journalistic best-practices that uphold Boston Globe principles and practices.
- Must stay informed of local, national and international news and have a passion for current events.
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least 5 years experience in online media or equivalent, with minimum 3-5 years of digital, or newspaper journalism experience.
- Proven track record in achieving editorial goals and driving growth against business objectives on time and on budget.
- Extensive experience with digital news technology.
- Comfortable working with excel, fusion tables, Google maps etc., and is able to look for new ways/tools to present statistical information.
- Superior people management and exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience leading an editorial team and collaborating with cross-functional teams in order to build consensus.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing, dynamic environment.
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to innovate, explore new ideas and acquire new skills.
- Drive, determination, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
How to Apply: Please apply directly to BostonGlobe.com editor Jason Tuohey at firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO Statement: The Boston Globe is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The Boston Globe is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.