The American Press Institute seeks to hire a Research Analyst to help conduct and coordinate its journalism research and consulting work with news organizations.
The job’s primary responsibilities are executing the Press Institute’s content strategy program that helps partner news organizations measure their content better using online software, study their communities through online surveys, and develop better plans to align their news content with their community passions.
Job duties include:
- Being the primary point of contact with partner news organizations for consulting and data analysis.
- Working closely with partner news organizations to help them customize and administer the content tagging software they use to measure their news.
- Helping to construct and execute online surveys of people who live in partner news organizations’ local communities, and then categorizing the survey responses.
- Analyzing the community survey results to spot significant themes in the communities’ passions and concerns.
- Analyzing the content tagging reports and web analytics to spot significant insights into what kinds of news readers are most engaged with.
- Writing reports that summarize survey data and content auditing data and offer publishers advice and insights based on what they show.
- Traveling with other API staff to visit partner news organizations for training and consulting based on the research.
- Assisting with other API programs and research as needed.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in relevant fields of journalism or content analysis
- Analytical thinker who enjoys working with and analyzing data to extract insights
- Experience with constructing and analyzing surveys
- Experience writing reports that analyze data and recommend actions
- Experience conducting workshop-style in-person training and online training
- Must be adept at learning new software and training others to use it
- Well organized, detail-oriented
- Strong skills at maintaining external relationships
- Good communication skills and ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment
- Full time position with standard benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Reports to Executive Director
- Office location: Arlington, VA
Send a resume, references and cover letter explaining why you are the best fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mention “API research analyst” in the subject line.
ABOUT THE AMERICAN PRESS INSTITUTE
The American Press Institute conducts research, training, convenes thought leaders and creates tools to help chart a path ahead for journalism in the 21st century. The Press Institute is an educational non-advocacy 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with the Newspaper Association of America. It aims to help the news media, especially local publishers and newspaper media, advance in the digital age. More at http://www.americanpressinstitute.org.