First Look Media seeks to re-imagine journalism for the digital age, combining the promise of technological innovation with the power of fearless reporting. Founded by Pierre Omidyar, the organization will pursue original, independent journalism that is deeply reported and researched, thoroughly fact checked, and beautifully told. We are driven above all by a belief that democracy depends on a citizenry that is not just highly informed, but deeply engaged. In all our work, we are committed to strict standards of accuracy and honesty, a willingness to report our own errors and inconsistencies as well as those of others, and a deep respect for the transformative power of true stories.
First Look is looking for an Investigative Researcher. The Investigative Researcher works as part of a dynamic team of investigative and data journalists in collaboration with First Look Media staff around the world. The Investigative Researcher will work collaboratively to execute the research and reporting needs of FLM, identifying opportunities to pursue stories, and working iteratively with colleagues on both short and long-term projects. This position will be based in New York City.
The primary responsibility of the position is investigative research, and thus a combination of editorial judgment and strong research skills is required, including the ability to research, analyze and synthesize information into actionable material, both as background and publishable content. A strong familiarity with government documents and FOIA is preferred.
The researcher will use expert knowledge of information sources, tools and contacts to piece together information that shapes our journalism at every phase of the reporting process. They’ll formulate strategies for supporting both investigative projects and daily breaking news events, and maintain awareness of emerging trends across a wide subject area, with an emphasis on national security issues and the intelligence community.
Utilizing their strong communication skills, the Investigative Researcher will share their knowledge of current trends and best practices in information sources with colleagues across First Look Media.
- 6+ years news research or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of informing high-quality, published journalism.
- Demonstrated proficiency in online databases including but not limited to Arachnys, DJX, Guidestar, Lexis-Nexis, PACER and TLO.
- Demonstrated proficiency using open source intelligence including but not limited to FEC data, IRS data, FARA, SOPR and government contract databases
- Familiarity with domestic and international FOI laws
- Expert ability searching the Internet, including public records databases and social media content
- Awareness and knowledge of emerging web-based tools and social media sites
- Demonstrated knowledge of Excel and Access
- Comfort learning new technologies and tools
- Strong journalistic skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving, multi-project, team environment.
- Expert knowledge in the content and format of information resources, including the ability to critically evaluate, select and filter them.
- Masters Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent work experience.
If you are interested in this position, please apply here: boards.greenhouse.io/firstlook/jobs/14117