WSB-TV, Atlanta's television news leader, is seeking an Investigative Reporter for the Channel 2 Action News team. WSB-TV is the flagship television property of the Cox Media Group, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, which has owned the station since its inception.
SUMMARY: Develop, write, produce and present investigative and news stories on television, the web and mobile.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Enterprise stories by developing sources and contacts
- Make creative use of live technology to help tell a story
- Understand and implement station's research-based goals
- Writes and produces packages and reports live
- Write and produce content for WSBTV.COM; use public records requests and FOIA to obtain information; use databases to research statistics and facts; gather and verify facts through interviews, research and surveillance if necessary
- Responsible for producing daily enterprise stories as well as investigative stories for major ratings periods
- Schedule may include nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- College degree required. 5 years investigative reporter experience in medium to large television markets.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Must have: strong writing and editorial skills
- Professional, smooth on-camera delivery
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Ability to develop highly promotable ideas for ratings periods
- Computer literacy with database experience
- Ability to handle projects from start to finish, collaborating with special projects producers
- Knowledge of legal and ethical requirements for investigative reporting
- Experience on surveillance shoots
- Ability to ad-lib in breaking news situations
- Ability to make quick decisions and turn multiple stories in a day when necessary
- Ability to develop sources and build relationships to generate stories
- Strong communication skills; flexibility to work unusual hours at times
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America's leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company's operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, 57 radio stations, eight daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.
CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 32 million TV viewers, more than 4 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at http://www.coxmediagroup.com
To apply directly to this opportunity, please submit a copy of your resume in Word or PDF format to our careers site: http://www.coxenterprises.com/careers/search-jobs.aspx ; Job ID 140857.
Cox Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.