The Pulitzer Prize-winning Center for Public Integrity seeks a detail-oriented digital journalist to produce daily and multi-part investigative projects on publicintegrity.org and other digital platforms.
The Digital Editor will lead newsroom discussion about the best way to incorporate digital journalism innovations to explain and present the Center’s investigative journalism and deepen its impact. The Digital Editor owns the production schedule for the editorial calendar, and will also manage and coordinate the many parts of a project from conception to publication to ensure the best possible storytelling and presentation for our work.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys a congenial workplace, an extraordinarily compelling mission, and a setting filled with dynamic ideas, engaging personalities, and game-changing journalism.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent investigative journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Drive the production schedule for the editorial calendar to ensure projects receive the best possible digital presentation;
- Lead production meetings to assign and set deadlines for editorial projects;
- Lay out our reports with photos, graphics and multimedia and publish via our CMS;
- Write headlines and story summary copy;
- Provide final copy edit before publication;
- Collaborate with the Engagement Editor to foster audience engagement on our site;
- Assign and oversee photography, infographics and artwork; sometimes create original news graphics;
- Coordinate production deadlines with the News Developers and Multimedia Editor;
- Track our site readership analytics and report to the newsroom;
- Edit the Center’s “Inside Publici” blog and commission posts to provide insight and context into our work;
- Assist in distributing our work to syndicated partners;
- Find creative approaches to develop journalism online.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- At least two years’ experience editing digital journalism content and contributing to social media for a news organization
- A proven track record in translating long-form journalism for digital consumption
- Highly proficient in web-based publishing tools and technologies and SEO best practices
- Excellent headline writing and copy editing
- Proficient in Photoshop, AP Style, analytics tools and social media platforms
- Entrepreneurial, curious, and passionate about investigative reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Non-supervisory position.
- Some evening/weekend work occasionally required.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please put the job title in the subject line.
About The Center for Public Integrity
The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. We are one of the country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Our mission: To enhance democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism. The Center won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for investigative journalism and has also been honored for its work by Sigma Delta Chi, the White House Correspondents Association, the Overseas Press Club, Investigative Reporters and Editors Inc. and Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.