The Palm Beach Post is seeking an aggressive, high-energy reporter with an eye for watchdog journalism to cover Palm Beach County government. This beat includes the Commission, Constitutional Officers and administration, and associated issues and events such as elections.
This reporter will have the digital skills and knowledge to report on multiple platforms and inform and engage readers through social media outlets. The job requires attendance at critical meetings and daily mail checks, but also the pursuit of in-depth reporting of un- or under-addressed problems, possible ethical lapses and political motivations behind government decisions.
- Frequent daily use of social media to provide instant information from meeting and other breaking news events.
- Regular, fast production of clean web bursts that can be published without editing.
- Regular production of succinct, balanced narrative-form stories for daily and weekend print and premium-digital editions.
- Fast production of clean copy on deadline.
- Regular gathering and production of other material for other digital enhancements such as collection of data, documents for publication with stories on MyPalmBeachPost.com.
- Arranging for photos and graphics to illustrate stories, including in some cases shooting photos and video, collecting audio and preparing them for Internet or other multimedia use.
- Regular production of stories following up on breaking news feeds with deeper reporting on related issues and trends.
- Regular production of interesting story ideas advancing topics, providing fresh voices, analysis and perspective, and developing creative, distinct writing with clear “voice.”
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university required. Major in Journalism, English, Communications or a major in field related to writer’s coverage area preferred. Internship or internships preferred.
- Two years’ experience as reporter for daily newspaper or Web site required; five years’ experience as reporter for daily newspaper or Web site preferred.
- Valid Florida Driver License required.
- Computer proficiency required; Macintosh OS preferred.
- Working knowledge of word processing programs, contact management systems and Internet search engines required; spreadsheet and database skills preferred.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish or English/Creole a plus.
- Knowledge of Web content management systems a plus
For more information and to apply, contact Ramesh Ramanathan, Ramesh.firstname.lastname@example.org.