There are seven candidates running for six seats on the IRE Board of Directors and three candidates running for two seats on the IRE Contest Committee. All candidates will be on the same ballot, and the Contest Committee candidates’ information will also be available on the IRE website, but they do not participate in the board candidates forum. Contest Committee members serve one-year terms.
About the Board of Directors
The board serves as the governing body of IRE and generally meets in person three times a year and several times virtually to discuss and vote on IRE business. Two of the in-person meetings are at the annual NICAR and IRE conferences. The third is at the annual board retreat.
Board members serve on committees and task forces made up of board members and appointed non-board IRE members.
The seats are for two-year terms, and incumbents may seek re-election to the board. A board position is unpaid; board members and their news organizations are expected to pay all, or a substantial amount, of travel expenses to in-person board meetings. IRE will provide limited help in cases of need.
Candidates must be IRE members in the professional or academic category.
Board members are expected to help raise funds and contribute financial or other resources to the organization.
Board members cannot enter their own work or the work they edit in IRE contests.
To learn more about serving on the IRE Board, please view the below Q&A from last year's election.
2023 Board Election Schedule
Six of the board’s 13 seats are up for election
- April 3 – Period to declare candidacy for the IRE Board begins
- May 9 – Deadline for candidates to file and submit election materials
- May 12 – Deadline for staff to have all candidates’ materials posted online
- June 6 – Voting begins; ballot sent out first time
- June 13 – Ballot sent out second time to those who haven’t voted, including new members
- June 20 – Ballot sent out third time to those who haven’t voted, including new members
- June 22 – Board candidates give brief statements in person at the IRE conference in Orlando; meet-and-greet with the candidates follows
- June 24, Noon Eastern – deadline for joining or renewing to vote
- June 24, 6 p.m. Eastern – deadline for voting
- June 24 – Voting results are announced following membership meeting; newly elected board members take office immediately