Starting in April, IRE will begin accepting applications for candidates for the IRE Board of Directors and for judges for the IRE Awards. This year, seven of the board’s 13 seats are up for election.
In addition to candidates for the board of directors, the ballot also will include candidates for two seats on IRE’s Contest Committee (one-year term), which judges the IRE Awards. Those interested in judging will apply using the same procedure as IRE Board candidates and will be selected on the same ballot. Contest Committee candidates’ information will also be available on the IRE website, but they do not participate in the board candidates forum.
About the Board of Directors
The board serves as the governing body of IRE and generally meets twice a year in person and several times via Zoom to discuss and vote on IRE business. One of the in-person meetings is at the annual IRE Conference.
Directors serve on committees and task forces made up of board members and appointed non-board IRE members.
The seats are for two-year terms, and incumbents may seek re-election to the board. A board position is unpaid; board members and their news organizations are expected to pay all, or a substantial amount, of travel expenses to in-person board meetings. IRE will provide limited help in cases of need. Candidates must be IRE members in the professional or academic category.
Board members are expected to help raise funds and contribute financial or other resources to the organization.
To learn more about being on the IRE Board, please view the below Q&A from April 13.
2022 Board Election Schedule
Seven of the board’s 13 seats are up for election
- April 4 – Period to declare candidacy for the IRE Board begins
- April 13 (6:30 p.m. ET) – Q&A webinar
- May 10 – NEW! Deadline for candidates to file and submit election materials
- May 13 – All candidates’ materials will be posted online
- June 7 – Voting begins; ballot sent out first time
- June 14 – Ballot sent out second time to those who haven’t voted including new members
- June 21 – Ballot sent out third time to those who haven’t voted including new members
- June 25, Noon MDT – deadline for joining or renewing to vote
- June 25, 6 p.m. MDT – deadline for voting
- June 25 – Voting results are announced following membership meeting; newly elected board members take office immediately