Total Newsroom Training provides intense, in-house training for small and medium-sized newsrooms dedicated to watchdog journalism. This is the second year IRE has offered the free program.
More than 80 applications were submitted. Training is customized and includes two days of sessions ranging from public records battles to hands-on data analysis.
“We had a large number of very qualified applicants, which made it tough to select winners,” said IRE Executive Director Mark Horvit. “It’s very encouraging to see that so many newsrooms are putting a premium on watchdog journalism and on gaining additional skills that will help them better serve their communities. “
Congratulations to the following newsrooms:
- WSYX TV – Columbus, OH
- KVUE TV – Austin, TX
- Montgomery Advertiser – Montgomery, AL
- The Wichita Eagle – Wichita, KS
- Sarasota Herald-Tribune – Sarasota, FL
- Oakland Local – Oakland, CA
- The Berkshire Eagle – Pittsfield, MA
- A consortium of regional news organizations coordinated by Willamette Week – Portland, OR