You’ve probably heard of Jason Leopold, even if his name doesn’t immediately ring a bell. He’s the journalist who forced the release of Hillary Clinton’s emails. He’s also unearthed shocking details on CIA torture and spying. Jason works at VICE News, and he’s the master of the federal FOIA request. In fact, he’s such a prolific requester that a government employee once called him a “FOIA terrorist.” On this episode, we’re sharing some audio from the 2016 CAR Conference, where Jason shared some of his best tips for prying records out of the government.
Looking for links to the stories, resources and events we discussed on this week’s podcast? We’ve collected them for you.
- Members only: Listen to the full-length recording of Jason Leopold’s “FOIA Tricks” session at the 2016 CAR Conference in Denver.
- Members only: Read “CIA Torture, a Senate Investigation, and the Google Search That Launched a Spying Scandal” by Jason Leopold and Ky Henderson of VICE News. To learn more about how they did the story, download the questionnaire (27516_Q.pdf).
- Read a New York Times profile of Jason Leopold.
- Keep up with Jason’s reporting and read some of his recent articles.
- If you’re going to the 2016 IRE Conference, check out Jason’s session.