An anonymous tip led the Los Angeles Times to a shocking revelation about the University of Southern California’s medical school dean, an internationally renowned physician. Faculty and staff had complained for years about dean Carmen Puliafito’s conduct, but it wasn’t until the Times uncovered his secret drug use and partying that he was removed from the university. On this week’s episode, Paul Pringle of the L.A. Times takes us through his investigation into the dean’s double life.
You can find the podcast on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Stitcher and Google Play. If you have a story you think we should feature on the show, drop us a note at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you.
Looking for links to the stories and resources we discussed on this week’s podcast? We’ve collected them for you.
- Read the Times’ story “An overdose, a young companion, drug-fueled parties: The secret life of a USC med school dean.
- Read the Times’ story “USC received more than a year of questions about former medical school dean’s conduct before scandal broke.
- Read the Times’ story “Investigators seek photos and videos of former USC medical school dean with drugs.
- Follow Pringle’s continued reporting on the former dean here.
- Members only: Download the tipsheet “Covering Higher Education: Holding administrators accountable” by Todd Wallack.
- Members only: Download the tipsheet “Investigating Higher Education” by Erica Perez.
- Members only: Download the tipsheet “Requesting records and data under open records law” by Ellen Gabler.
Noe Noe (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
Club Count (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
Circle Deserrat (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
A Certain Lightness (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
Faithless Constellation (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
Seamless (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
FasterFasterBrighter (Blue Dot Sessions) / CC BY-NC 4.0
Taylor Blatchford reported this episode. Tessa Weinberg is our host. IRE Editorial Director Sarah Hutchins edits the podcast. Blake Nelson draws our episode art. We are recorded in the studios of KBIA at the University of Missouri.