The Dayton Daily News seeks a curious investigative All Media Journalist who is an expert on public records, knows how to ask tough questions and will find solutions to the biggest issues facing the Miami Valley through their reporting.
The position calls for producing digital-first investigative content, engaging the audience in social media and using digital tools like blogs, podcasts and other formats to help deliver our investigative news to our readers.
The successful candidate should be dogged, organized, self-directed and analytical. They must be a master of using public records to deeply report a story, building a network of sources to provide tips, and using data to add context. They should be able to translate complex ideas and willing to experiment with creative ways to tell a story. Their ability to meet deadlines and work well within a team and collaborate with other teams – including across platforms – to maximize the impact of their coverage is critical.
This person also will be expected to engage the community to lead to change and impact from their reporting and must be comfortable with public speaking.
• Possesses expert understanding of public records access and libel laws in Ohio.
• Displays a strong sense of urgency, high energy and tenacity to get the best, most complete content for readers.
• Develops and nurtures sources, building relationships that result in scoops.
• Generates impactful story ideas.
• Excels at data analytic tools such as Excel, Microsoft Access and Google docs.
• Understands and simplifies complex issues, and writes clearly and quickly.
• Knows how to manage a Facebook page and group, as well as interacts/responds to tips or comments.
• Familiar with digital analytical tools and how to use them to inform decisions about what to cover and how to present it.
• Has demonstrated record of working in a complex newsroom environment.
• Works in communication with investigative team leader and investigative director but will often be self-directed.
• Serves as a leader on complicated and difficult story assignments.
• Ability to speak in public at community forums or other events connected to reporting.
• Can provide oversight or technical direction to reporters or editorial assistants.
• Generates clean and concise copy and is well-versed in AP Style.
• Generates work that is balanced, fair, complete, in-depth and dependable, incorporating a diverse range of sources. Copy should not contain errors of fact or judgment and should not include any issues of bias.
• Uses time effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
• Uses SEO, videos, photos, data, interactive elements and other tactics to optimize content for digital, including ability to produce or learn how to make videos and photos.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Education and experience in digital news production preferred.
• Five years’ experience at daily news content creation preferred.
• Requirement may change over time depending on technology and company priorities.
• Possesses a valid driver’s license.
Who We Are
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.