Location: This position is based in OCCRP’s main office in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. OCCRP can assist with relocation and work authorization formalities. However, due to the current global situation there is an option for remote work until the end of the pandemic.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2020
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is a growing, global nonprofit media organization that is reinventing investigative journalism for the public good. By developing and equipping a global network of investigative journalists and publishing their stories, we expose crime and corruption so the public can hold power to account. We see a future where organized crime and corruption are drastically reduced and democracy is strengthened. Our global team includes editors, researchers, data engineers, security specialists, administrators, technologists, strategists, corruption experts, and connectors each with areas of in-depth expertise.
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project (OCCRP) is hiring a lead investigative editor for our senior management team, based at our Sarajevo headquarters.
We’re looking for a proven team leader and expert investigative editor who can lead teams of talented, ambitious, and tenacious journalists doing global, world changing investigations.
Team: Editorial management
- Work with partner organizations and regional editors to put together teams of reporters to do hard hitting, follow-the-money investigations.
- Manage OCCRP’s biggest stories, build partnerships with other media, collaborate within OCCRP to produce award-winning stories.
- Upholding OCCRP’s high standards for levels of proof, fairness, accuracy, and newsworthiness.
- Work with the editorial management team, including the editor-in-chief, to manage OCCRP’s dispersed global presence, set policies, improve procedures, and maximize efficiency.
- Work with reporters to focus their stories and help them report efficiently, prove all necessary elements of their stories, and gather news in a safe, ethical, and productive manner.
- Monitor reporters’ safety and identify and evaluate risks to them. Create safety action plans for all risky stories.
- Effectively communicate with the editor-in-chief and other regional editors on story scheduling, the technical team on production, the graphics team on illustrations, and the social media team on production and promotion.
Skills and Experience
- Proven track record of a decade of reporting and editing award-winning, follow the money investigations.
- Comfortable working under pressure and able to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong editing and storytelling skills to convert complex investigations into enjoyable, readable copy.
- A significant portion of the job will involve helping coordinate a large and complex editorial workflow among multiple partner centers in many countries.
- Attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills.
- Strong legal skills and understanding of libel/slander, privacy, tort and other laws that affect journalism
- People management skills and ability to work across teams and cultures.
- Thick-skinned and able to handle the rigors of a demanding workplace.
- Proactive, improvisational, and able to take charge with little guidance.
- Well-versed in international politics, corruption, and organized crime.
- Strong familiarity with Europe and Eurasia region is a plus. So is language proficiency in other languages.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and several of your best stories you are responsible for to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 15, 2020.
All applications must be submitted in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered. We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.
As an equal opportunity employer, OCCRP values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We offer competitive salaries/compensations and benefits and encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, medical conditions, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process, please contact email@example.com.