The Center for Public Integrity is looking for an ambitious digital journalist to develop and operate an innovative audience engagement and growth strategy for our nonprofit investigative newsroom.
We seek someone who lives and breathes social media and is excited about building relationships with readers in service of in-depth investigative reporting that has a real-world impact. Those efforts will be bolstered by a recently launched, cutting-edge website developed with Upstatement, a leader in web design.
Founded in 1989 by veteran journalist Charles Lewis, the Center for Public Integrity is one of the oldest and largest nonprofit news organizations in the country. Our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom is composed of reporters, editors and data journalists who dig deep and deliver investigative journalism of enduring significance. Our journalism is regularly published by, or co-reported with, a variety of high-profile partners, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, USA TODAY, The Associated Press, the Texas Tribune, Mother Jones, The Verge, Vox, POLITICO and The Atlantic.
Our mission: To serve democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of public trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism.
The successful candidate will work hand-in-hand with reporters, editors and other senior managers to devise campaigns around our reporting, grow our readership across multiple platforms and create opportunities for readers to tell us what they want and think.
The audience engagement editor should be curious, experimental, detail-oriented and independent, but also flexible, patient and a strong team player. A good sense of humor helps too!
This position will work closely with the Digital Editor and Communications Director.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent investigative journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ and differently abled people are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Work with editors and reporters to create engagement plans and strategies to increase reach and impact for major projects
- Manage the strategy and day-to-day social media presence of all the Center’s platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Reddit
- Be an advocate in the newsroom for audience engagement and continuing research into who our audience is, who we’re reaching and who we’re missing
- Monitor website, social media, email analytics and reader feedback to provide regular reports to editors and the development team
- Work directly with editorial leadership to inform our editorial strategy, based on website performance, social, third-party platforms, reader feedback and other audience insights
- Develop and maintain communities related to and affected by the Center’s reporting to cultivate a more engaged audience for the Center’s work, and help bring in new sources and story ideas
- Consider ways to repurpose previously published stories on our website and social media or through partnerships to increase engagement
- Support engagement initiatives and maintain projects that involve reader-driven or responsive content, including comments, Facebook groups and crowdsourcing
- Work with the Development team to create content for our membership program, including live video chats with reporters, impact reports and other elements
- Support and coach staff on social media usage, headlines and SEO strategies in conjunction with the digital editor
- Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices of the Personnel Policy Manual and Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree
- 2-3 years of experience managing social media accounts, preferably for a news organization
- Strong news judgment and a deep interest in the news
- Ability to managing short and long-term projects in an environment with shifting deadlines
- Deep knowledge of social media, website and email analytics using tools like Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Mailchimp and Crowdtangle
- An eagerness to stay up to date with engagement trends and best practices
- Experience creating audio, video and visual content for social a plus
- Exceptional organizational skills and a proven ability to work collegially with others, especially across multiple teams
- Salary is negotiable.
To Apply: All applications should include a resume, cover letter, three links or a portfolio of successful digital/social media campaigns or audience development projects you’ve managed before.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Engagement Editor Position
The deadline for applications is January 25, 2019.