Times Opinion is looking for a seasoned editorial leader to run our coverage of business, economics and technology. In the midst of a global recession, the leadership of this team is a critical role, and we are looking for someone with wide-ranging experience and sharp editorial judgment. This leader will inspire their team and our readers with enthusiasm, creativity and intellectual range. You don’t need to be an economist or a technologist, but you do need a passion for the subject matter and a proven ability to make it accessible and compelling for a general audience.
This editor will lead a team of journalists, commission and edit op-eds, edit regular contributing writers and bring new voices to the Times for our daily opinion report, as well as Sunday Review and longer-term projects. As part of the editorial leadership of Times Opinion, this editor would help shape our overall strategy and find new ways to deepen our engagement with Times readers and find new audiences for our work.
- Defining the vision, audience and priorities of for Times Opinion’s business/economics and technology coverage
- Developing a wide range of voices about the biggest news and ideas
- Anticipating and reacting to the news with smart, forward thinking commissioning of staff and outside writers
- Regularly developing, pitching and helping execute high-impact enterprise pieces; including collaboration with multimedia teams, including design, photo, graphics, audio and video on how to best tell these stories
- Cultivating and maintaining a network of contributing writers
- Coordinating with the audience team to maximize the reach and impact of the work
- Working with the managing editor on scheduling and prioritizing the research, copy editing and production workflow
- Continually assessing and calibrating the journalism your team publishes, considering news value; the range and diversity of writers; and the tension between productivity versus impact and influence.
- Managing editors and writers as their coach and advocate, which includes annual performance reviews, managing schedules and long-term goals, recruiting new talent and managing the career development of existing staff.
Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience managing journalists in a digital or daily publication.
- At least 5 years of experience working with and editing staff or contributing writers.
Learn more about this job and apply here.