VTDigger is a nationally-recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting, nitty gritty approach to local and state news, and our entrepreneurial model.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations in the nation that has developed a promising model of sustainable funding for journalism. The organization has grown quickly in just a decade, becoming the go-to source of news for the state of Vermont.
We have a startup vibe and an unsurpassed commitment to our mission, which is to shine a light on problems that impact Vermonters’ lives by exposing the truth, cutting through the noise of echo chamber spin and reviewing the actions of public officials.
For more about how VTDigger has become the largest news operation in Vermont, click here.
Fast facts: We have 400,000 unique readers a month, 25 employees, and a budget of $2.4 million a year. For more information, visit our About Page.
Organizational impact: VTDigger’s readership has increased by 30% a year over the past two years. Reader donations have increased by 40% over the past three years.
We are seeking a talented, entrepreneurial professional with digital chops who will work with the Executive Director to take VTDigger to the next level and help us build revenues from fundraising, e-commerce, membership, underwriting and news distribution to between $2.7 million and $3.15 million a year. VTDigger’s current budget is $2.4 million.
The CRO will oversee and further develop the revenue generation team to:
Increase our overall revenues, from contributed and earned income, by at least $750,000 a year. We believe this is achievable within 3-4 years.
- The CRO will work with the ED and an outside consultant to complete an existing major donor campaign at the end of 2020, securing a total of at least $5 million in additional pledges through 2023. We have already raised nearly $4 million in commitments. In addition, the CRO will work with the ED to raise annual gifts totaling more than $800,000 a year.
- By 2022, our goal is to double monthly membership from 1,000 to 2,000 individual donors. In addition, we aim to increase underwriting sales from $400,000 to at least $800,000; boost e-commerce sales to $75,000; and resale of content and events to $125,000.
Build stronger revenue generation systems including full use of Salesforce for underwriting, larger donor campaigns, and membership; continued improvements to our donor materials and protocols; better protocols and collateral for underwriting.
Raise the profile of the organization by…
- Expanding and deepening partnerships with local NPR affiliates, commercial TV stations; and businesses and local philanthropy.
- Holding events and assisting with VTDigger marketing campaigns as appropriate.
Qualified candidates may come from a variety of industries. Ideal candidates will have some or all of the following skills and experience:
- Successful track record managing fundraising campaigns and ongoing development programs
- Demonstrated skills in donor and customer database management
- Experience developing earned income initiatives (sponsorship, digital media ad revenue, content licensing)
- Experience managing and/or interacting with membership teams a plus
- Some experience with marketing (branding, PR, digital and print marketing communications, social media)
This role is a fit if…
- You’re a news junkie who cares about the future of civic journalism in the United States.
- You follow marketing trends and you are the most digitally savvy person you know.
- Team building is second nature and you enjoy the people you work with.
- You have a customer service mentality, and marketing and sales come naturally.
- You enjoy using spreadsheets and data to tell a story.
- You are a highly organized systems thinker.
We’re excited for a visionary leader who can energize and mentor a young, passionate and growing nonprofit news revenue team — one of the first of its kind in independent news.
You report to Executive Director Anne Galloway.
You will build and oversee a revenue generation team responsible for both earned and charitable income. Currently, you will have four direct reports focused on sales, membership and underwriting. You will continue to build the team with particular focus on building VTDigger’s fundraising capabilities.
You will manage four members of the revenue team:
- Director of Sales
- Inside Sales Associate
- Special Projects / Events Manager
- Membership Coordinator
Salary: $85,000-$95,000 plus bonuses
Location: Montpelier, VT
Start date: May 2020
Montpelier is a charming New England town located in Central Vermont near world class alpine and nordic ski areas, hiking trails, lakes and rivers. The region has excellent schools, an independent bookstore and great local food scene with one of the best local co-ops in Vermont, a nearby maple sugaring operation and an award-winning coffee and French pastry shop.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete the online application. Submit by 11:59 EST on Friday, April 15th.
If you have any issues with the application form or questions, please email [email protected].