The Dallas Morning News is looking for a computational journalist to join its newsroom as a member of the data and interactive design team. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on a mix of high impact journalism and quick-turn daily stories.As part of The News’ data and interactive design team, you will fill one of the most collaborative positions in the newsroom. You’ll partner with reporters, editors, photographers, videographers and audience engagement editors to help report and publish ambitious stories and projects through data reporting, analysis and visual journalism. You’ll also have the opportunity to pitch, report and develop your own data and interactive story ideas.
About the team
The News’ data and interactive design team is comprised of computational journalists, an interactive designer and graphics artists, but at our core, we are all journalists. We have a wide range of skills, including data analysis, visualization, front- and back-end development and visual design. We work on a diverse set of topics and story types, including elections and state government, investigative, ent
- While you may have a skill set that goes beyond traditional reporting — whether that includes working with data, code, or both — you still consider yourself a journalist and have at least a year of experience working with data and/or digital design within a newsroom setting.
- You’re collaborative, adept at working with writers, editors and photographers to execute large projects. You also want to have a voice in story direction, especially in areas that pertain to data reporting and/or visual execution.
- You’re capable of pitching and reporting your own stories. While we work with other departments in the newsroom, we are not a service desk and take pride in producing our own work.
- You have experience writing front-end code to support and present your work to readers across a range of screen sizes and devices, whether that be digestible data visualizations or more full-fledged story presentations.
- Experienced in the fundamentals of data analysis and visualization.
- Familiarity with scripting language. We use Python, but we realized there’s no one way to do something.
- Familiarity with data visualiztion libraries such as D3.js and MapboxGL.js.
- At least 1 year experience producing web applications using a modern development framework.
- Other skills we use that if you have, awesome! If not, we’d love to help you acquire them: Django, QGIS, Gulp, PostgreSQL and Vue.js, among others.