Who We Are:
AK Investigations is a team of criminal defense investigators based in Nashville, Tennessee. Our mission is to help people accused of the most serious crimes by doggedly investigating their cases to give them the best outcome, no matter their position in the world. We also focus on uncovering our clients’ compelling life histories, contextualizing and humanizing them to those who make decisions about their liberty. We work with attorneys nationally as part of defense teams on capital murders and other high level felonies by methodically formulating and implementing defense strategies unique to each case.
We are looking for a new team member to join us who shares our passion for social justice and uncovering hidden stories. Those who have done investigative reporting, social work/work in the mental health field or other jobs that require interviewing, research and writing may be well suited for this position.
The criminal defense investigator will serve two primary functions:
- Investigate the facts and circumstances of the alleged crime by gathering documentary evidence and interviewing witnesses.
- Conduct mitigation (life history) investigation for sentencing.
- Consult with attorneys to develop theories of the case and case strategy.
- Locate and interview witnesses in person.
- Prepare detailed reports based on interviews.
- Prepare and maintain witness lists, timelines, and other case documents based on on- going investigation.
- Keep orderly case file, documenting all steps of casework.
- Extensive research, record collection and organization.
- Conduct background/criminal history searches via databases, social media, courthouse searches, media outlets, etc.
- Maintain contact with attorneys and investigative team to provide regular case updates.
- Assist attorneys with trial prep and testify in court. Serve subpoenas.
- Organize and prioritize caseload, manage calendar in order to complete work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Assist team members with record collection, clerical duties and other support.
- Develop and maintain relationships with court clerks, records custodians and others who help our team with information gathering.
- Recognize and document symptoms of mental illness.
- Review and synthesize case materials, providing well-organized, clear information to attorneys.
- A minimum of three years of interviewing, research and writing experience.
- The ability to communicate effectively with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds and function calmly in situations that require a high degree of sensitivity, tact, discretion and diplomacy.
- Excellent organization skills with great attention to detail.
- Possess considerable resourcefulness, creativity, people skills, initiative and drive and the ability to analyze and evaluate facts, evidence and related information.
- Being a self-starter is a must. Must be capable of working independently as well as with a team.
- Respect the humanity and dignity of our clients.
- Commitment to working with clients in poverty and from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability and willingness to travel and to work outside normal business hours. We have cases that take us out of county and/or state for days at a time. Willingness to work long hours when necessary.
- Willingness to go into high crime areas and interview reluctant witnesses.
- Always be punctual, reliable, accessible and responsive.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Spanish language skills are a huge plus, but not required.
- Must have valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
- Able to meet deadlines, respond to editing and adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures and organizational structures. Growth mindset.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills.
- College degree.
- Must be willing to commit a minimum of three years to the position.
Benefits include accrued paid time off, paid holidays, health insurance, phone stipend, access to annual trainings, flexible schedule, positive work environment, one remote workday per week, bonus pay based on hours billed over 30 hours per week. Salary commensurate with experience.
Prior to hiring, candidates will be subject to a thorough background investigation.
How to apply:
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, a writing sample and references to email@example.com. Your application will not be considered if it is not complete.