The CPR News data reporter will take a data-driven idea from conception, through acquisition and analysis of data to reporting and publication online and on the air. The reporter will have a track record of developing and executing their own ideas, and working with reporters throughout the newsroom both as a resource, and part of a team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, researches, reports and executes stories built around data and in-person reporting.
- Use of FOIA and state public records laws to acquire data.
- Organize, search and analyze data.
- Scrape websites and build data visualizations using programs like D3.js.
- Deliver stories for digital, radio and on-demand audio as needed.
- Explore stories using data to examine how policy affects diverse communities across Colorado, focusing on inequality, health impacts, solutions, economic impact and cultural issues.
- Help train other journalists in data reporting when needed and assist in reviewing other’s data work.
- Work with public affairs talk show Colorado Matters hosts and producers for regular debriefs and produced conversations.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, computer science or equivalent experience.
- Experience in tools to analyze data and database management, such as SQL or PostgreSQL, Excel and other programs.
- Experience in daily journalism, focused on the use of data in investigations.
- Proficiency in scripting language like Python or Ruby.
- Proficiency in mapping programs like Qgis for use in investigations.
- Experience in writing front-end code to best display your work on the web preferred.
- Experience working in radio or with audio a plus.
Available to work during non-standard working hours and weekend on-call shifts, as needed. This job will include travel.
Position is based in CPR’s downtown Denver newsroom.
To apply, submit a cover letter that includes where you learned of the job opening, resume, three professional references and salary expectations to email@example.com with “Data Reporter” in the subject line. Please also include links to samples of your work or projects you have led.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls or drop ins please. Competitive salary and benefits.
Colorado Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.