It’s fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing!
NBC4 in Columbus, Ohio is seeking a smart, analytical digital data journalist. Powerful storytelling goes beyond 1:15 PKG on a newscast—the digital data journalist will work with the NBC4 news team to identify, research, investigate and write stories through data to create new and innovative ways of storytelling through analysis and visualizations.
The goal? Elevate NBC4 journalism with your passion for public records, FOIAs—a desire to look beyond the news release to find the truth, and the creative ability and quantitative and qualitative skills to prospect and tell the story like no one else.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Plan and execute analyses and interpret results in synergy with investigative projects and general assignment visualizations
- Pitch story ideas to news management for digital-first and broadcast coverage
- Research and report through on-the-ground, digital and phone calls
- Assist producers and reporters with brainstorming, finding, fine tuning, fact-checking and analyzing
- Dig through the data and FOIA it, then prepare it for publication and on-air presentation with a digital-first focus
- Share best practices and mentor others in data analysis and digital storytelling
Skills & requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Experience working in a professional newsroom
- CMS and digital media experience preferred
- Well organized with a passion for data-driven, visual and written storytelling
- Ability to stay focused with multiple quick-turn deadlines
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you’ll enjoy your career with us!