Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and other instances where the government fails to serve the public. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. POGO has an over $6 million annual budget that supports a staff of over 40 employees.
POGO’s executive team is looking for a talented Director of Research to take on the development, management, and leadership of POGO’s research efforts—ensuring the effective completion of accurate and timely research in support of the organization’s missions. The Director of Research reports directly to POGO’s Editor-in-Chief.
- Manage all aspects of POGO’s research processes from start to finish, including drafting proposals, overseeing logistics, executing timelines, developing research designs, and analyzing and presenting data.
- Oversee and manage POGO’s FOIA efforts from request formation to supporting counsel during litigation.
- Manage a team of researchers, editors, and fact-checkers to accomplish the above and meet the research needs of the organization.
- Partner with the investigations and other program teams to conduct the research needed to deliver compelling, novel, and accurate investigations and reports.
- Partner with the creative and communications teams to ensure that accurate and compelling data visualizations are effectively and correctly integrated into reports, investigations, and other external facing products.
- Other duties as required to accomplish POGO’s mission.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing and executing data and information driven strategies and research projects.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing a team or organization—or demonstrated equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience as an editor. Must be able to occasionally write at a high-level on short deadlines.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and high standards of accuracy and ethics.
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a nonpartisan, collaborative, respectful manner with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative to solve problems and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Strong knowledge of information driven research best practices.
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience, starting at $95k.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 403(b) employee investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution through a SEP IRA once eligible.
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage.
- Metro SmartTrip benefits participation available.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Director of Research, or mail application to: Project On Government Oversight, 1100 G Street, NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
Application Deadline: February 24th, 2020
POGO is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We encourage all interested and qualified individuals to apply.