About Oklahoma Watch
Oklahoma Watch is an award-winning, nonprofit news organization whose mission is to produce in-depth and investigative journalism on public-policy and quality-of-life issues facing the state of Oklahoma.
We dig beneath the surface of issues of public importance, provide insightful analysis and reveal meaningful trends, facts, issues, underlying causes and possible solutions. Oklahoma Watch is non-partisan and strives to be balanced, fair, accurate and comprehensive. Our goal is to promote and deepen public and private debate that makes a difference in the lives of Oklahomans.
What You’ll Do
We’re seeking a full-time Executive Director who will provide leadership, strategic direction and vision for the development and achievement of the organization’s mission in partnership with the Board of Directors. The position is in Oklahoma City.
As executive director, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of leading this growing non-profit, news organization including, but not limited to:
- A leader of change in a fast-changing and experimental landscape.
- Maintain the organization’s positive image and expand awareness by:
- Serving as chief spokesperson and advocate
- Communicating and promoting the organization throughout the state through education and events
- Recruit, collaborate with and serve as a resource for media partner organizations
- Oversee grant-making program by ensuring proposed projects are properly evaluated and executed
- Articulating and initiating the development, implementation and communication of effective growth strategies and processes
- Oversee marketing, development and operations team members and consultants
- Supervises editor and non-newsroom staff and works with editor on engagement and other related activities while maintaining newsroom autonomy
- Partners with editor to address concerns and issues while maintaining newsroom autonomy
- Works with editor to develop an effective social media strategy for the organization and staff
- Leads all collaboration ideas and strategies and activities in conjunction with the editor. Collaborations should be in conjunction with news organizations or community organizations that can work within Oklahoma Watch’s mission.
- Conducts yearly strategic planning session with staff and reports to board on initiatives and progress on them.
- Create a positive work culture that encourages employee engagement and satisfaction
- Oversees internship program including recruiting and budgeting
- Encourage diversity and inclusion in all projects, content, outreach and hiring
Innovation, Operations & Planning
- Monitor industry for new and innovative ideas
- Spear-head new initiatives and monitor return on efforts
- Identify tools and put in place processes that will help the organization achieve its mission while also introducing operating efficiencies
- Regularly conduct reader and donor analysis as well as competitor analysis
- Collaborate with the editor and newsroom team on innovation and overall organizational strategies without dictating content that is a purview of the newsroom
- Maintain strong relationships with existing funding sources and generate new and diversified funding sources.
- Work with the finance committee and board to develop and monitor the annual budget and effectively communicate variances in actuals versus the budget.
- Ensure the financial health of the organization by employing sound fiscal management and providing strategic financial input and leadership on key decisions.
- Managing vendor relationships and contract negotiation
Board of Directors Relations
- Collaborate with the Board to generate funds to meet the organization’s budgetary goals and needs.
- Collaborate with the Board to develop short-term and long-term priorities, goals and tactical plans to ultimately promote the growth of Oklahoma Watch.
- Ensures completion and follow through of board requests and initiatives. Reports back to board chairman in timely manner on requests.
- Consults with board on hiring and/or firing of editor.
What You’ll Bring to the Table
- Passion for journalism and public policy
- Media industry experience
- Experience collaborating with editors and newsroom
- Excellent communication skills; comfortable with public speaking and acting as a spokesperson
- Experience building coalitions and partnerships
- A self-directed, entrepreneurial and innovative approach
- Financial acumen and analytical skills
- Ability to direct and mentor team members
Your Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five+ years of management experience and a track record of effective leadership in an outcomes-based organization/program
- Fundraising experience, including sponsorship, sales and grant writing.
- Media industry and/or nonprofit leadership experience
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information of five (5) professional references by February 28th to:
The Mettise Group