About Oklahoma Watch
Oklahoma Watch is an award-winning, nonprofit news organization whose mission is to produce in-depth and investigative journalism on public-policy and quality-of-life issues facing the state of Oklahoma.
We dig beneath the surface of issues of public importance, provide insightful analysis and reveal meaningful trends, facts, issues, underlying causes and possible solutions. Oklahoma Watch is non-partisan and strives to be balanced, fair, accurate and comprehensive. Our goal is to promote and deepen public and private debate that makes a difference in the lives of Oklahomans.
What You’ll Do
We’re seeking a full-time Executive Editor with experience producing, directing, and editing high-impact investigative stories. The position is in Oklahoma City.
The ideal candidate will be committed to digging deep and examining significant issues facing Oklahoma. Your team’s stories will engage all Oklahomans, amplify the discussion of important issues and lead to change.
As executive editor, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of content this growing non-profit, news organization including, but not limited to:
- Reporting to and collaborating with the executive director.
- Leading a team of writers (staff and freelance) and staff members who will produce high-impact, reader-focused journalism that will lead our coverage and impact public policy in Oklahoma.
- Assigning stories to reporters, working closely with our freelancers and writers, and overseeing the day-to-day activities of the newsroom
- Identify, recruit, hire, train, develop, inspire, and manage reporters, staff members and interns
- Identifying, recruit, hire, train, develop, inspire, and manage other journalists.
- Creating an ethical culture that encourages excellent work and is also diverse, inclusive and fun
- Helping develop an effective social media strategy for the organization and staff
- Collaborating on ideas, strategies and activities in conjunction with the executive director. Collaborations should be in conjunction with news organizations or community organizations that can work within Oklahoma Watch’s mission.
- Serving as a moderator/expert at events, on podcasts and conference calls, etc.
- Managing and helping to write the weekly email newsletter, and think of creative ways to promote stories
- Being a team player who is willing to serve the organization in a variety of ways, in collaboration with the executive director
- Flexibility with the changing and fast-moving landscape of nonprofit journalism
What You’ll Bring to the Table
- Passion for journalism and public policy
- Significant experience producing and editing investigative stories
- Excellent communication skills; comfortable with public speaking and acting as a spokesperson
- Experience building coalitions and partnerships
- Ability to direct and mentor team members
- Ability to juggle both short-term and long-term projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to collaborate across the newsroom
- A drive to embrace and encourage the use of new techniques and technologies
Your Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five+ years of editorial experience and a track record of effective media industry leadership
- Strong record of achievement in investigative reporting or editing
- Knowledge of libel law, open records law, data reporting and publishing
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and contact information of five (5) professional references by Feb. 28 to:
The Mettise Group