WPRI 12 in Providence, Rhode Island is looking for an executive producer with the skills, instinct and talent to lead the market’s leading Investigative team. The perfect candidate is innovative, a motivator and a multi-platform thinker (television and digital). Responsibilities include overseeing story selection, copy editing scripts and coordinating coverage and promotional plans with various station departments such as promotions and digital teams. This is a unique opportunity to work with top notch journalists on important and impactful local journalism.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise content with our experienced and award-winning Investigative Team
- Responsible for evaluating stories, ensure they align with our brand goals
- Work closely with News Director and other station management on strategic planning and execution
- Execute strategies that engage and grow audiences across all media devices
- Research, shoot, write, and edit investigative content for on-air and online
- Generate unique story ideas that exemplify the Eyewitness News brand
- File state and federal public records requests
- Retrieve and review court, police, and other government documents
- Produce or manage content for multiple platforms, including TV and digital
- Gather and verify factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, data review and research
- Review story content with legal counsel
- Ability to manage an experienced staff and produce high-level content, both short and long term
- Familiar with state and federal public records laws
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera and editing equipment
- Knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws
- Strong organizational skills and a grasp of current events
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Fluent in English. Knowledgeable of proper grammar and spelling
- Able to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Flexible to work any shift.
Education/Experience: Minimum of (5) five years of experience in broadcast journalism and/or a background in an investigative field. Candidates should also have an expert understanding of broadcast technology, script writing and investigative journalism.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: The Executive Producer must be able to sit, use newsroom software on a computer, conduct telephone conversations, use e-mail & social media for communication, write and copy edit scripts, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Position requires the operation of camera, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record are required. May require flexibility in work hours.