This position will handle the daily planning and demands of the NBC Connecticut Investigative and Specials unit that includes NBC Connecticut Responds. The job also manages special promotable content produced by other members of the newsroom. The role requires excellent news judgment, mastery of legal and editorial standards, ability to juggle multiple projects and to engage in long-term planning. It includes encouraging a seasoned team of reporters, producers and photographers as well as developing innovative storytelling techniques for all platforms. This person will also work with our promotions team. The successful candidate will also help plan coverage for major events. The NBC Connecticut Investigative team has received a number of rewards including a Columbia duPont, and the successful candidate will be expected to continue that standard of journalistic excellence.
- Provide leadership in story selection and execution for the station’s investigative unit, NBC Connecticut Investigates
- Provide oversight and leadership with the NBC Connecticut Responds unit, the department responsible for engaging with viewers to resolve consumer complaints.
- Coordinate the content and presentation of long-form series and/or special projects pieces under the direction of the VP of News.
- Share responsibility for determining the composition and flow of all special projects packages, selecting video, writing and copy editing stories. Work closely with producers, anchors, reporters, editors and technical crews to make certain program elements abide by NBC News Standards as well as the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
- Anticipate special news events (and major stories) and create plan for coverage.
- Assist VP of News, Assistant News Director and Managing Editor in managing the day-to-day news operation. Participate in daily planning meetings. Contribute ideas for news programming based on the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
- Establish and maintain a professional, trained and motivated staff though effective implementation of NBC’s performance management process. Work with Assistant News Director to ensure training and coaching is provided for Producers. Facilitate the orientation of new employees. Implement NBC Connecticut news standards and ensure adhered to while producing news programs.
- Manage a large team of photographers, reporters and producers to create compelling content that differentiates NBC Connecticut from other local television stations in the market on all platforms.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years of related work experience including: Direct responsibility for producing a television news program, or producing special enterprise reports in a television news environment.
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
- Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
- Must be willing to be on-call on occasional weekends to be responsive to and questions or concerns from employees working those shifts
- Must be willing to work at the station in West Hartford, CT.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications.
- A background in investigative reporting or producing
- Exposure to and knowledge of investigative reporting techniques and skills
- Proficient in iNews.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
- Experience delegating, assigning, setting objectives, providing positive feedback and taking corrective action, if necessary
- Prior experience supervising producers, reporters, and other news personnel.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage a staff effectively while under extreme pressure and the ability to react quickly to breaking news situations.
- Skilled in utilizing internal and external resources to accomplish goals.
- Ability to quickly understand and size up opportunity and/or problems and respond with creative ideas and solutions.
- Experience reviewing reporters’ scripts.
- Has the ability to conduct performance appraisals.
- Skilled in delivering feedback in order to develop team.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.