Position: Fact Checker Location: Atlanta, GA Program: Intelligence Project
Summary: The Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Project seeks a fact checker to be part of team that is responsible for the accuracy and thoroughness of all content produced by the Intelligence Project team. The fact checker should have a background as a reporter, researcher, copy editor, or fact checker and must be extraordinarily detail oriented.
The fact checker will be tasked with reviewing articles focusing on extremism and hate groups for the Hatewatch Blog, Intelligence Report magazine as well as other short- and long-form content for print and the web.
Primary Job Functions:
- Be able to quickly analyze content for factual errors, logical flaws, and significant omissions;
- Be able to efficiently examine a writer’s sources and, where necessary, to identify additional documents and/or sources;
- Be able to quickly read those documents and accurately distill relevant information;
- Work effectively with a team of reporters, researchers, copy editors, and editors across the department;
- Be able to review copy for accuracy, clarity and libel;
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or English preferred
- 5+ years of fact checking or copy editing in the journalism field
- Excellent research skills, including familiarity with public records and data-based reporting methods
- Breaking news experience preferred
- Strong communication skills; ability to conduct interviews and to write clearly, accurately and persuasively
- Proven ability to work independently, meet multiple deadlines and function under pressure
- Familiarity with and commitment to social justice issues and the SPLC’s mission
- Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong understanding of ethical reporting standards and practices
- Strong familiarity with AP style
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Computer literate
- Commitment to the mission of the SPLC
Other Special Considerations: This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.