Location: Washington, DC
Apply Here: https://jobs.lever.co/
fiscalnote/6628bdce-cb87-463e- 8690-9837c4720a49?lever- origin=applied&lever-source% 5B%5D=IRE
About the Role
CQ Roll Call is looking for an accomplished database reporter/editor to join its new investigations team. You will be part of a team responsible for producing high-impact investigative stories and projects. These investigations will appear in CQ and Roll Call products, known for nonpartisan news and analysis about politics and policy. We cover important legislation and the political maneuvering behind it, what lawmakers do (and fail to do), federal agencies, the White House, life on Capitol Hill and the relationship between Congress and the greater D.C. community. This is a full-time position.
– Seek out and analyze data from outside sources that will generate or support investigative stories; this includes filing FOIAs, data cleaning and wrangling, conducting interviews and reporting from the field
– Seek out data that can be used in quick-turnaround investigative stories that are one-offs to breaking news
– Assist I-team reporters and CQ Roll Call beat reporters to utilize data in daily and enterprise coverage
– Develop web-scraping programs and other tools to gather public-records data
– Developing data-driven applications based on public records such as Federal Election Commission data that will be an ongoing resource for the newsroom
– Coach newsroom journalists on the use of basic data analysis tool
– Help drive reporting and writing for investigative stories and projects
– Share your findings across platforms, including podcasts and videos
– Keep up-to-date on developments in Congress, the administration and federal agencies
– Work different shifts as the demands of the investigative assignments require. Some work on weekends and nights may be necessary
– Travel as needed
– 5+ years of experience analyzing data
– Bachelor’s degree and significant formal training related to data analysis
– Experience working on data-related investigative projects for a news organization
– An insatiable desire to dig up exclusive data that exposes fraud, abuses of power, corruption and malfeasance
– Proficiency with tools for data analysis such as SQL, R, Access and SPSS
– Proficiency with spreadsheet software such as Excel and Google Sheets
– Proficiency with mapping programs such as QGIS
– The organizational skills to manage multiple short-term and long-term projects
– A working knowledge of multimedia presentations and what’s needed for multimedia platforms
– Strong coaching/teaching skills
– Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
– The ability to work well on a team
– Good interviewing skills
– A strong ethical compass
– Experience reporting and writing for a news organization (preferred)
– Proficiency with data visualization software, video editing and audio editing (preferred)
– On-air experience (preferred)
You know how to tell important stories with data. You have a strong interest in media, government and politics and want to hold the powerful accountable. You’re an enthusiastic team player who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced, competitive environment. You embrace change.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable news from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects major interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.