The Dallas Morning News is a digitally focused, 134-year-old news organization and the winner of nine Pulitzer Prizes. In 2017, it moved into a newly renovated building in the heart of downtown Dallas. Its print edition was named Texas Newspaper of the Year in 2018 and its flagship website, dallasnews.com, attracts 10-12 million unique visitors a month. The News has a highly motivated newsroom staff of nearly 200 and a reputation for excellence.
The Dallas Morning News is seeking an accomplished editor to lead our investigative coverage. This person will head up our award-winning six-reporter investigative team and work closely with a talented team of data journalists.
Our tight-knit and highly productive investigative team tells stories that make a difference to the people of Texas. We seek out cases of deep injustice to real people and write about them in vivid detail. In recent months, we have published (among other stories) Pain & Profit (companies prosper, kids suffer), Time Bomb (houses blow up because of gas leaks) and “They’re Gonna Kill Me” (an inmate is pepper sprayed and chokes to death).
Our unwavering commitment to investigative work makes this a unique opportunity for an editor who loves local journalism and wants to make a difference. The investigative editor reports to the Editor.
We need an investigative editor not just for the team, but for the whole newsroom — a newsroom that places a high priority on accountability reporting and sees every journalist as investigative. We’re looking for a collaborator, someone who shares knowledge and spreads investigative techniques to every department.
We are looking for someone who values data and data journalists and employs all of the tools of digital storytelling. A working knowledge of libel and open records laws is essential.
Integrity, fairness and guts are prerequisites.
- B.A./B.S. degree
- 10 years of journalism experience with a strong record of achievement in investigative reporting or editing
- Knowledge of libel law, open records law, data reporting and digital publishing
- A zeal for investigative work with impact and the courage to take on difficult subjects
- A keen sense of storytelling in words and images
- A drive to embrace and encourage the use of new techniques and technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to collaborate across the newsroom
You can apply here: https://ahbelo.mua.