WXMI, FOX 17, the Scripps station in Grand Rapids, Michigan is searching for an experienced and aggressive Investigative MMJ to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for covering all the major events coming out of the State Capitol in Lansing. Digging deep into new legislation, and keeping a watchful eye for a possible waste of our viewers tax dollars.
We seek someone who has demonstrated experience with investigative stories and has a strong working knowledge of politics. Someone who knows how to source and generate impactful enterprise leads as this position is relied upon primarily for original stories and specialized segments.
We require all candidates to submit a link to examples of investigative work that they have shot, written and edited on their own.
- Collect and analyze complex information of newsworthy events relying on critical relationships with local news makers.
- Develop, create and research news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Uncover stories through investigation and research.
- Use computer database to research statistics and facts.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding stories through interview, observation, and research.
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- Shoots, edits video and still photos to illustrate stories for all multimedia platforms.
- Appears on television program when conducting taped interview or narration.
- Gives live reports from site of event or mobile broadcast unit.
- Write and produce quality news stories for multiple media platforms.
- Work cooperatively with photographer assigned to story, if one is assigned.
- Assist news producer in preparing newscast.
- Assist online staff in preparing for multi media stories.
- Report, write, capture visual content, edit and produce stories for multiple platforms on deadline, such as Internet and digital channels.
- Must be able to drive company vehicle for business purposes.
- Up to 20% travel will be required within Michigan.
- BS/BA in related discipline.
- 4+ years of experience in related field.
- Ability to operate portable remote internet LIVE gear.
- Previous investigative/political reporting required.
- Knowledge of Michigan state government preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
- Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds.