WXYZ, the Scripps ABC Station in Detroit is searching for an experienced Investigative Producer.
The successful candidate must be able to show demonstrated abilities in planning, coordinating, and directly assisting in deep level investigative journalism projects. Links or supporting documents must be uploaded with your application, or provided upon request. This position will be a part of the WXYZ I-Team and will work with the Assistant News Director in keeping Investigative and other Special Projects on track. Additional duties will require in conducting research, requesting and reviewing documents, and field producing.
We are looking for candidates who will do their homework, and be ready to hit the market running with story ideas and can quickly dig into local issues that will provide a deep impact for our viewers.
- Research, develop, and plan investigative stories or special projects. This may include live or prerecorded newscasts/local programs and editing or repurposing existing content to enhance the end product.
- Write scripts as needed; Edit or repurpose existing content to all station platforms.
- Work closely with investigative reporters and content producers as stories are produced for multiple platforms.
- May be responsible for tip line, emails, and responding to viewers.
- Edit desktop video.
- May lead investigations, conduct interviews or be called upon for undercover field work.
- Work with editors to utilize graphics and other tools to visually enhance storytelling.
- May lead special projects, conduct interviews, and enterprise original story ideas.
- Some travel may be required.
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- 5+ years as a television news writer or producer with a background in enterprise or investigative journalism preferred.
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel law.
- Solid understanding and demonstration of multimedia file formats and strong computer skills.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting operations.
- Knowledge and proficiency in posting content to television station websites.
- Must be a team player and adapt to developing situations quickly..
- Must be an excellent conversational writer with solid news judgement and a positive attitude.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) serves audiences and businesses through a growing portfolio of local and national media brands. With 33 television stations, Scripps is one of the nation’s largest independent TV station owners. Scripps runs a collection of national journalism and content businesses, including Newsy, the next-generation national news network; podcast industry leader Stitcher; the fast-growing national broadcast networks Bounce, Grit, Escape and Laff; andTriton, the global leader in digital audio technology and measurement services. Scripps produces original programming including “Pickler & Ben,” runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.