Location: Washington, DC
Apply Here: https://jobs.lever.co/
fiscalnote/d2ca7671-f2ef-4f2b- bf74-78c18bf080ae?lever- origin=applied&lever-source% 5B%5D=IRE
About the Role
CQ Roll Call is looking for two accomplished reporters to join its new investigations team. You will be part of a team responsible for producing high-impact investigative stories and projects. These investigations will appear in CQ and Roll Call platforms and products, known for nonpartisan news and analysis about politics and policy. We cover important legislation and the political maneuvering behind it, what lawmakers do (and fail to do), federal agencies, the White House, life on Capitol Hill and the relationship between Congress and the greater D.C. community. This is a full-time position.
– Conceptualize, research and write groundbreaking investigative stories and projects
– Work closely with a data reporter/editor on data-based stories
– Work with other teams to develop strong multimedia components for investigative stories, such as videos, podcasts and interactive graphics
– Help to train other CQ Roll Call journalists on investigative reporting techniques
– Collaborate with other CQ Roll Call journalists on investigative stories emanating from beat coverage
– Aggressively pursue records and data through open records requests
– Tell your stories across platforms, including podcasts and videos
– Keep up-to-date on developments in Congress, the administration and federal agencies
– Work different shifts as the demands of the investigative assignments require, including weekends and nights
– Travel as needed
– 7+ years of experience as a reporter with a proven track record of enterprise and investigative reporting
– Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience
– Strong writing, reporting and data analysis skills
– Story-telling — the ability to translate complicated topics and data into engaging content
– The ability to report accurately and without bias
– A track record of consistently producing accurate and exclusive investigative stories
– A knack for developing sources and maintaining confidentiality of sources inside and outside the office
– Good interviewing skills
– The organizational skills to manage multiple short-term and long-term projects
– Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
– Good working knowledge of Excel and other tools used to download and analyze data such as Access and Cometdocs
– A working knowledge of multimedia presentations and what’s needed for multimedia platforms
– The ability to work well on a team
– A strong ethical compass
– An insatiable desire to expose fraud, corruption, abuses of power and malfeasance through your reporting
– On-air experience (preferred)
– Familiarity with relational database managers such as SQL, mapping software and statistical analysis programs (preferred)
You appreciate the role of investigative reporting as a foil to government corruption and malfeasance. Your reporting is thorough, tenacious and fair. You have a strong interest in government and politics and want to hold the powerful accountable. You’re an enthusiastic team player who can work collaboratively in a fast-paced, competitive environment. You embrace change.
About Reporting at CQ Roll Call
CQ Roll Call is dedicated to providing nonpartisan news, in-depth analysis and legislative tracking about Congress, the administration and federal agencies. CQ, founded in 1945 as Congressional Quarterly, delivers to subscribers actionable news from the House and Senate floor, committees and congressional hearings. CQ journalists and analysts take you behind the scenes of policymaking with a focus on how legislation is shaped, key players, the political motivations driving the debate, and how the process affects major interests. Our products and services include an award-winning magazine, topic-specific newsletters, transcripts, government documents, and committee and floor votes. Roll Call, founded in 1955, is known for its objective coverage of the people, politics, and personalities of Capitol Hill. We serve an integral part of FiscalNote’s mission to connect people around the world to their government.
FiscalNote is the leading Government Relations Management platform. Our mission is to build the world’s most powerful platform for analyzing government risk and opportunity. For organizations facing government impact, FiscalNote is the platform for professionals to plan and execute their organization’s government risk strategy. Organizations rely on FiscalNote because of its accurate and relevant information, cutting-edge analytics, and ease of use. Our fierce curiosity and insatiable urge for the next challenge pours into our company culture.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so we want you to play hard; our open vacation policy and vacation expense contribution help us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.