The Connecticut Mirror (www.CTMirror.org) is an established, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit digital news organization, whose mission is to produce original, in-depth, nonpartisan journalism that informs Connecticut residents about the impact of public policy, holds government accountable, and amplifies diverse voices and perspectives.
We have an immediate opening for an Investigative Reporter who will hold government and government-funded systems accountable by exposing failed practices, unmet needs, gross misrepresentations, and corruption.
The successful applicant will have at least seven years newsroom experience and a track record of reporting ambitious stories that create change. The successful candidate should be able to show examples of work that demonstrate strong interviewing and writing skills, the ability to translate complex policy into readable and relevant copy, a talent for connecting government or system failures to human consequences, and strong data analysis when applicable. Innovation, collaboration, and a hunger for truth are critical.
We’re looking for a reporter who:
- Can find untold stories in data sets, documents, and sources;
- Has experience developing story ideas that lead to investigations with the potential to positively impact and improve lives;
- Has experience documenting and fact checking work;
- Demonstrates a talent for narrative writing;
- Has experience using open records laws to obtain records and data;
- Is eager to tell stories in innovative, compelling ways across platforms and in a way that engages audiences;
- Works well both independently and collaboratively with other CT Mirror staff and other news organizations;
- Embraces CT Mirror’s public policy mission as the focus of investigative reporting.
The Investigative Reporter will report to the Executive Editor. The position will be based in our Hartford, CT newsroom. This job is a two-year position, with an expectation that it will become permanent.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance and a 403(b) deferred retirement savings plan.
CT Mirror is committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our hiring, procurement, volunteer recruitment, or other activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, board, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and readers.