Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we’re looking for:
This leadership position is a standard bearer for our culture of coverage. The successful candidate will shepherd our team of journalists to engage in meaningful conversations within the communities we serve, leading them to always make coverage decisions with viewer relevance and engaging characters in mind. Develops, implements and monitors programs that promote and support company’s goals and objectives, establishing metrics and tools to measure progress.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Serve as the final newsroom voice on all editorial choices, ensure that content and quality meet industry and organization standards.
- Represent the interests of our journalism and our audiences in broader interactions with appropriate business functions across the company.
- Bring and build on innovative journalistic approaches and thinking.
- Manage high performing teams by leading, developing, training and providing effective coaching to attract and foster talent.
- Assist with determining the strategy, planning and execution of projects and initiatives within the department.
- Oversee the Managing Editor, on organizational, management, and newsroom-wide mentoring tasks.
- Partner with the leadership team to help create and drive strategy to help grow reach.
- Manage continuous improvement cycle and act as a change agent as opportunities to improve departmental performance are identified.
- Ensure that all applicable standards are followed; remain current on industry trends and legal considerations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Strong commitment to impactful journalism and the editorial mission of Spectrum Networks
- Ability to support our writers and editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles
- Ability to develop and execute on ideas that can expand Spectrum Networks current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video, and social media to journalism
- Experience working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational skills
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, management or related field, Master’s preferred
- 8-10 Years of Newsroom management experience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment
- 5 years of Management experience
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.