Spectrum Networks is constantly striving to engage with the local community through meaningful written and visual storytelling. With that foundation in mind, we are launching an innovative mobile news app that will focus on providing our customers hyperlocal content, information and insights about their community throughout the day, wherever they may be. The Managing Director will lead the pioneering approach on delivering impactful and relevant content to the communities we serve. Our ideal candidate is driven by a passion for storytelling and content that is ready to redefine the local news landscape with their compelling leadership and guidance.
What we’re looking for: The Managing Editorial Director will lead the talented and resourceful journalists at Spectrum Networks, ensuring our trusted news networks engage our audience in honest journalism and foster meaningful conversations within the communities served.
This role requires an independent minded individual who will guide our storytellers and editors into the highest levels of editorial excellence.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage digital teams in multiple locations
- Manage editorial content – encourage innovation and unique story telling techniques
- Serve as mentor to employees
- Collaborate with newsroom leadership in planning and execution of stories, series and big events
- Serve as newsroom leader on editorial choices aligned to Spectrum Networks mission, values and strategic priorities
- Drive the day to day of a vibrant daily newsroom adhering to many needs with ambitious short term and long-term projects
- Foster a culture of transparency, innovation, and positivity
- Attract and retain talent
- Bring and build on innovative journalistic approaches and thinking
- Partner with the leadership team to help create and drive strategy to help grow reach
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Impeccable integrity and ability to support our writers and editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles
- Skills to help develop and execute on ideas that can expand Spectrum Networks current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video, and social media to our journalism
- Experience working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational skills
- Ability to think outside the box
- Ability to collaborate with senior newsroom leadership
- Willing to travel frequently
Education & Experience:
- 10+ years relevant newsroom management experience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment
- Television news experience a plus
- Must have experience editing text stories
- Bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism, communications or related work experience.
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that’s important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means … You’re ready to inspire and be inspired! You’re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You’re fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You’re nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brands (including Spectrum Networks, Spectrum Enterprise and Spectrum Reach) are powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.