Our new colleague will be passionate about telling compelling stories about immigrants and refugees that are designed to resonate with our audience. We are looking for an editor skilled at inspiring and training student and emerging journalists alike while engaging the public in our work.
The Managing Editor will edit and also report daily and enterprise news stories for our website, https://www.sahanjournal.com/. The position includes assigning stories to reporters, working closely with our freelancers and commentary writers, and overseeing the day-to-day activities of the newsroom.
Successful candidates will have significant experience in hard news and investigative/data reporting, and the ability to write narrative nonfiction stories that use literary styles and techniques.
The Managing Editor will be based in Sahan Journal’s office at the Glen Nelson Center in downtown St. Paul. We’re a startup newsroom, and this role may require some weekend and evening work and a flexible schedule.
In just three months of operation, we’re growing fast to better fulfill our mission — to provide fair, groundbreaking news coverage that illuminates issues affecting Minnesota immigrants and refugees and to chronicle how these communities are changing and redefining what it means to be a Minnesotan.
The Managing Editor, Sahan Journal’s first full-time hire, will be a newsroom leader, reporting directly to Editor/Executive Director, who is responsible for the news and business operations.
Sahan Journal is the only independent, nonprofit 501(c)(3) news organization dedicated to providing authentic news reporting for and about immigrants and refugees in Minnesota. Sahan’s journalism illuminates and amplifies the significant contribution of Minnesota’s immigrant to the state’s culture, economy, and public life. In the first months since the launch of Sahan on August 12th, 2019, our newsroom has produced original stories that no one else is covering. We reported stories specific to the immigrant experience that shed new light and create shared understanding. These stories are available to all of our readers for free.
We are looking for an experienced journalist who will report and write stories independently or as part of a team and will edit reports produced by staff, student interns and fellows, freelancers and collaborating news organizations. Some of the Managing Editor duties will include:
- Management of reporters, interns and fellows
- Managing Sahan Journal’s homepage
- Engaging readers across multiple platforms
- Mentoring and training of student journalists and emerging reporters from immigrant backgrounds
- Editing and fact-checking of stories
- Developing story ideas with reporters
- Filing public records requests
- Collaborative projects with journalistic partners and other organizations
- Conceptualizing and/or creating data analyses and visualizations
- Conceptualizing multimedia elements including audio, video, photography and graphics
- Public engagement
If you have just some of the skills listed below, or others we failed to list, please consider applying for this position. We are a small, nimble organization that makes best use of, and is dedicated to developing the skills of our staff.
We’re looking for some combination of the following:
- Experience in high-quality, high-impact news reporting and/or editing. A minimum of seven to 10 years of experience desired.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
- Experience writing narrative nonfiction that uses literary styles and techniques to tell compelling stories.
- Experience working with immigrant and refugee communities and bringing to light those stories.
- Experience using social media to find sources and story ideas.
- Experience using Google Drive is required.
- Superior editorial judgment and the ability to identify great stories and quickly react to breaking news.
- Bulletproofing your work. We’re obsessive about accuracy.
- Proven ability to write concise and web-friendly headlines.
- Interpersonal skills, like flexibility, kindness and a sense of humor, suited for working in small teams on intense projects.
- Supervisory experience or temperament.
- Experience in conceiving and producing ambitious news stories that go beneath the surface.
- Deep knowledge of the changing media landscape.
- Data analysis and visualization.
- Website management and posting. Familiarity with WordPress.
- Photography, videography and/or audio gathering and editing skills.
Expected salary range: $55,000 — $70,000, commensurate with skills and experience. This is a full-time benefited position.
Deadline: The initial application window will be open until Dec.31, 2019. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to apply:
Send us a no more than 500 words cover letter, written in Google Doc. Share the Google Doc link with us in view mode. Do NOT send us an attachment. In the cover letter, please tell us why you’re qualified to lead our newsroom and why you want to join Sahan Journal. What are we missing in our coverage that you’d like to change or improve? What are some of the mistakes you made when covering people, cultures, religions that are different from your own? What did you learn from those mistakes? Tell us why you want to be part of our team.
- A list of references.
- Resume, preferably a link to your LinkedIn profile.
- Send us five recent stories you wrote that show a variety of reporting techniques (must include hard news, investigative/data reporting and narrative-driven stories) to Editor/Executive Director Mukhtar M. Ibrahim at email@example.com. If you’d like to chat about the job before applying, contact Mukhtar via email. Please put “Managing Editor” and your name in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you!