Responsible for leading and strengthening our editorial strategy for storytelling, oversee story development, planning, production and execution by our team of producers and multimedia journalists. Manage high performing team by leading, developing, training and providing effective coaching to attract and foster talent.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Provide leadership and editorial strategy to the team responsible for producing video content that brings our reporting to life.
- Responsible for the look, feel, and style of Spectrum Networks’ storytelling as well as the editorial strategy.
- Managing a team of talented producers and video journalists, guiding them to harness their storytelling ability and visual style from pitch to editing.
- Responsible for holding team accountable to organization expectations, including disciplinary matters.
- Identifying immediate, newsworthy, for quick-turn and long-form production and provide leadership for editorial direction.
- Provide support to our writers and editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles.
- Develop and execute on ideas that can expand Spectrum Networks current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting.
- Collaboratively work with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Recruit, hire, train and manage department staff. Conduct performance evaluations for direct reports.
- Manage high performing teams by leading, developing, training and providing effective coaching to attract and foster talent.
- Maintain a positive work environment by motivating and communicating in a professional manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skill/Abilities and Knowledge
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and obtain results through others
- Ability to anticipate situations and plan over short and long terms
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to build relationships and motivate
- Problem analysis skills and problem resolution skills at both a strategic and a functional level
- Knowledge of all aspects of local news programming, especially social media
- Ability to apply an understanding of the evolving digital media landscape
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to produce clear and concise written analysis and reports
- Ability to promote product within the company and throughout the area
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to effectively present information to management
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
- Ability to show judgment and initiative and to accomplish job duties
- Ability to think strategically and anticipate future trends, needs and expectations
- Strong business planning and forecasting skills
- Strong analytic, organizational, and problem solving skills
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills
- Ability to analyze data and develop and present data driven reports
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism, management or related field or comparable television management work experience
- 8- 10 years of News management experience
- 5 years of Management experience
- Affiliate television station or cable station experience preferred
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
- Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
- Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
- Provide 24×7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
- Participation in an established on-call rotation
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Spectrum has adopted virtual mobile recruiting tools that allow us to continue meeting new candidates. We look forward to “virtually” meeting you.