This role sits at the heart of everything we do. The Membership Project Manager reports to the Senior Director of Membership to execute multiple projects, internal and external-facing, in support of quality journalism. The PM serves as a close partner to the newsrooms we work with, often getting hands-on to help execute membership programs and campaigns, instinctively understanding organizations’ aspirations and triaging their needs. The PM takes a product management approach to their work, using a combination of technical, organizational, and creative skills — and empathy — to break complex problems into solvable pieces and help organizations achieve their goals.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Earn the trust of the newsrooms we work with and become a valued asset to their team.
- Coordinate and manage each organization’s experience with the Hub, from onboarding to launch on our tech and beyond. Coordinate, schedule and document trainings and webinars.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously; intuitively understand project priorities in the context of Hub and member organization expectations. Execute all contracted deliverables including client survey, email automations, and other projects on time.
- Work with Hub leadership to keep members motivated, inspired and focused on improving their key performance indicators (KPIs). Draft member-facing project proposals, performance reports, strategic plans, memos, presentations and other materials.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and tool kits within the product management practice. Ensure project documents are complete, current and archived appropriately. Ensure that the executive team has easy access to the Hub’s latest accomplishments and insights.
- Keep the Hub Slack lively and build a strong sense of camaraderie among our 400+ Slack members; Help build the Slack community by promoting newsroom and Hub ideas and accomplishments.
- Have a finger on the pulse of developments taking place in the industry, including in technology, fundraising and digital organizing—inviting opinions from peers and sharing our point of view with members.
- Work with the Senior Director of Membership to respond to customer service requests from donors within 24 hours (for members who currently pay for this service).
- 3+ years of relevant experience in account and/or project management.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of membership best practices in journalism and the nonprofit sector.
- Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising strategies and tactics; experience in delivering email campaigns and/or sales.
- Attention to detail; experience with project management tools and methodologies.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and resourcefulness required.
- Empathy, communication, respect and the ability to act as a member of many different teams.
- The ability to self-motivate, self-manage and work remotely.