Michigan Radio is Michigan’s most listened to public radio service in our state. Our award winning news team is seeking a dynamic, enterprise-minded editor to join our news leadership team and assist in the assignment and editing of our state-wide daily news gathering efforts for on air newscasts and digital platforms. As the Morning News Editor, you will direct a news team of reporters in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing and Grand Rapids as they gather and produce spots news content for broadcast and online, and serve as their primary editor.
We’re looking for a passionate candidate who believes in public radio’s core values, with a commitment to accuracy and excellence. The ideal candidate will have strong news judgment, writing, and editing skills, with the ability to work with multiple reporters and platforms under tight deadlines.
Qualified candidates will have a strong understanding of industry ethics, and be an enthusiastic advocate for independent, high-quality, fact-based journalism on all platforms.
This position will work hours roughly between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, with the potential for weekend and evening work during breaking news.
- Works as member of news leadership team consisting of news director, digital director, long-form editor and afternoon/evening news editor.
- Serves as primary editor for all spot news broadcast stories between 7 am and 1 pm, including packages produced by Michigan Radio news staff, MPRN, MPRN member station reporters and freelancers.
- Ensures accuracy of spot news packages.
- Maintains awareness of Michigan news issues and events.
- Takes lead role in generating morning spot news assignments and evaluates reporter pitches in cooperation with News Director.
- Participates in daily editorial meeting.
- Directs the news team in gathering and production of spot news content for broadcast and online from 7 am to 1 pm.
- Responsible for training and spot package assignments for newsroom interns.
- Responsible for being on-call for breaking news assignments and edits every fourth weekend.
- May be called upon to serve as a reporter during breaking news or crisis coverage at direction of News Director.
- Participates in station events and fundraising activities as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field or equivalent of experience and knowledge; at least two years of experience as a news editor in print or broadcast. Radio/Audio production skills is preferred, as is previous experience working in public radio newsrooms. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Proficiency with standard spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary. Familiarity with Audition and Newsboss a plus.
How to Apply:
Apply online at http://careers.umich.edu Enter job number: 175675 in the Key Word and click Search. Follow application instructions. You can also access this information at : http://michiganradio.org/topic/jobs-michigan-radio
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.