GateHouse Media, Columbus OH
Put your data, public records and sourcing skills to work on a national team with exposure in hundreds of media outlets. You’ll report from the newsroom of The Columbus Dispatch, in the Midwest’s fastest-growing big city, to dig out stories that affect millions of people across the region. No topic is off limits.
As a hub for government, business and politics in the Midwest, Columbus is fertile ground for any reporter seeking to understand the region. And with arts, sports, nightlife and neighborhoods that routinely surprise travel writers, it’s also a great place when you’re not working.
• Produce investigative work about issues uniquely affecting readers in Ohio and throughout the Midwest
• Occasionally partner with other GateHouse Media journalists to enhance local reporting.
• Collaborate with other regional investigative journalists and data reporters throughout the GHM network on large-scale projects.
• Proven track record of investigative reporting and storytelling
• Experienced in filing and managing public records requests and negotiating with PIOs
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team
• Skilled at using basic data tools such as Excel, Access and SQL
• Have a minimum 2 years of experience in investigative journalism.
LOCATION: Columbus, Ohio
HOW TO APPLY: Send a resume, 3 – 5 clips, a cover letter and at least three solid story ideas you would pitch if selected for this job. For each story idea, include the key questions it raises, examples — if any — of this type of story elsewhere, and a brief list of records and sources you would need.