The weekly Petaluma Argus-Courier, a division of Sonoma Media Investments, is seeking a reporter to join our award-winning newsroom. The candidate must be a strong editor with a knack for digital platforms, including headline writing, website management and a thorough understanding of the different social media platforms. The ideal candidate will know how to engage and grow an audience.
Essential job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- The reporter will produce 3-4 news articles per week
- Responsible for managing content on petaluma360.com, including breaking news
- Track local news topics and strategize long-term coverage with the editor
- Produce a weekly crime log, along with other news briefs
- Be able to multi-task and handle the changing demands of a digital-first newsroom
- Have the ability to prioritize tasks, work independently and meet deadlines
- Review and post stories, photos, videos and graphics to the website and social media
- Write web-optimized headlines, web teasers and photo captions for multiple platforms
- Manage social media and help build up the site’s fan following
- Work collaboratively with the newsroom to ensure stories clearly convey information
- Approach change positively and adapt quickly to new work situations
- Work with both the editor and the digital team to keep on the cutting edge of online trends
- BA from accredited college or university or equivalent education and / or experience in journalism or communication
- 2+ years’ experience in a newsroom environment preferred
- Ability to work night and weekends on occasion
The Argus-Courier is the most decorated weekly in the state, earning first place in General Excellence at the California Journalism Awards 12 out of the past 14 years. Many of our news editors move up to our sister publication, the Pulitzer-Prize winning Press Democrat. This position is ideal for an ambitious reporter / editor looking to grow their skillset and learn from a team of seasoned media professionals.
Sonoma Media Investments (SMI) is an independent, privately-owned multimedia company. Formed in 2012 by a consortium of local investors who recognize the value of quality local journalism, SMI is home to the most-read publications and websites north of San Francisco.
Each week, seven out of 10 North Bay adults – more than 376,000 in total – engage with the many SMI publications and their corresponding websites, including the Petaluma Argus-Courier, The Press Democrat, The Sonoma Index-Tribune, The North Bay Business Journal, Sonoma Magazine and La Prensa Sonoma (the region’s premier Spanish-language newspaper and website).
Sonoma Media Investment values the contribution of our employees and offers a competitive compensation plan. We also offer an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K and Paid Time Off. We are committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
To be considered please submit a resume, cover letter and a link with writing samples to: email@example.com and state the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Sonoma Media Investments is an Equal Opportunity Employer