Senior Communications Consultant
(Based in United States, 3-5 days/week)
The Sunrise Project is looking for an experienced and creative communications professional
to provide support for two exciting climate campaigns that are aiming to shift the financial
system out of fossil fuels – Black Rock’s Big Problem and Insure Our Future.
The Sunrise Project is a small organization with an oversized impact. Driven by a
passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and
communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the
transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe and the US, we’re focused
on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels,
and accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy in Australia.
Through our grants program we provide partner groups with the capacity they need,
while our staff team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work
together for greater impact. For more information about how we work, see
Together with our network of partner NGOs, we’re running two campaigns to shift the
global financial system out of fossil fuels. Our insurance campaign aims to get the world’s
biggest insurance companies to stop underwriting and investing in fossil fuel projects and
companies, while our asset manager campaign is aiming to push Blackrock, the world’s
biggest investor, to shift out of fossil fuels.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced communications consultant to
join our small team to provide communications support for these directed network
You’re an experienced communications professional with a knack for telling simple,
powerful stories that synthesize complex issues and cut through a crowded media
landscape. While you’re skilled at developing big picture strategy, you also enjoy the nitty
gritty of implementation, turning around copy quickly and relentlessly pitching to journalists.
You’re a team player with excellent interpersonal communications skills and the ability to
work effectively with our partner groups to support them to do their best work. You’re
passionate about solving the climate crisis and winning campaigns.
Working with Sunrise Project campaign leads and network partners, the Senior
Communications Consultant will focus supporting work in three main areas:
Engaging with and pitching to media
• Build and maintain relationships with key journalists.
• Develop and pitch media stories to mainstream and niche finance industry media
Developing & implementing communications strategy
• Revise and finalize existing campaign frames, messages and talking points.
• Identify and make the most of campaign communication moments and flashpoints,
including leveraging breaking news.
• Determine the targeted audiences and channels (including social and paid
advertising) which are best suited for our campaign messages.
• Produce messaging briefs for partners around key events or moments.
Create campaign communications materials
• Write media releases.
• Create (or oversee all aspects of the production of) impactful communications
materials for social media including blogs, short videos, infographics, and other visual
• Work with the Sunrise team and partner organisations to develop tailored
communications material including reports and other assets.
Specific skills/experience needed
• 5 years minimum communications experience
• Media relations experience including pitching and landing top tier media
• Proven ability to conceptualize and execute creative and effective communications
strategies including earned and social media
• Strong writing and editing skills, with an ability to understand and analyze complex
policy issues and communicate them clearly to targeted audiences
• Experience running strategic communications for national and/or state campaigns,
with experience in climate, finance or clean energy a plus
• Ability to create social media materials (short videos, infographics, etc.) a plus
• Proficiency in written and spoken Spanish a plus
• Open to the right candidate anywhere in the US with preference for candidates based
in the Bay Area
This is a contract position for nine months with the possibility of an extension.
Applicants are expected to provide their own equipment. We estimate this work will range,
on average, from 3 days per week to full time, and can be flexible for the right candidate.
The hourly wage will be set based on relevant job experience and the agreed upon average
hours per week. We expect this job to pay at least $60/hr, and we are willing to go higher for
the right candidate.
How to Apply
Please send a resumé, cover letter, and two samples of recent work with the subject
line “Senior US Communications Consultant” to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications
are due by Friday, March 22nd.
The Sunrise Project values and celebrates diversity among our employees and in our
movement and knows that’s the way we’re going to win big. We are an Equal Opportunity
Employer — all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color,
religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability,
family/marital status or veteran status.