Advance Local/NJ.com is looking for an ambitious and creative Sr. News App Designer to join an award-winning team dedicated to making impactful work for a local news audience.
We’re committed to building a newsroom that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. In this position, you’ll join a group with a track record of products that effect change in New Jersey in big and small ways. We pride ourselves on the ability to balance quick-turn enterprise (24 Hours in Crisis, Unpaid and Unanswered) among longer-term projects (Gone at 15, Swing County). We don’t take ourselves too seriously (The hero we deserve), which allows us to learn and grow as a team.
If you don’t meet all of these requirements, apply anyway. Tell us what you’ll bring to the table that we never even considered. While we’d love if you lived in New Jersey, we are willing to consider remote work for the right candidate.
In this role, you will:
- Develop interactive data visualizations and news apps to elevate the impact of our stories.
- Collaborate with other journalists to promote the use video, audio, maps, interactives and graphics to create unique storytelling experiences to delight our readers.
- Wrangle data, including scraping, cleaning and analyzing, and create graphics with tools or with your own code.
- Work independently, while maintaining operational communication with editor.
- Keep abreast of industry advances and proactively consider new methods of reaching audiences, including engaging, interactive and optimized product offerings.
For this position, we’re looking for candidates with:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, journalism or mathematics or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five years’ experience in front-end web development
- Mobile-first thinking that is responsive and accessible
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing interactive graphics from scratch
- Experience with creating news apps with Django, Flask, React or other tools
- In-depth knowledge of mapping tools such as QGIS, Mapbox, Leaflet.js, etc.
- Knowledge of Adobe tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop or Premiere to edit assets
- Ability to help troubleshoot and tune up legacy content and reader revenue initiatives
Advance Local offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package including generous paid time off, flexible holidays and parental leave as well as options for your healthcare.
Advance Local, one of the largest media groups in the United States, operates the leading news and information companies in more than 24 cities, reaching 50+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Fearlessness, and Customer Focus.
Advance Local includes MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, ZeroSum, The Alpha Group, Headline Studio, PA Media Group, and our Enterprise Digital Innovation team. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.